Failed detection after successful detection

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Levi Farley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Failed detection after successful detection

Postby Levi Farley » 29 Apr 2016, 18:14

I'm in the process of trying to get an esk8 board off the ground, and am running into all kinds of issues. So, here is the story:

I got a new VESC with the PCB marked 4.11, but it in fact already had the C18 mod. I wired up the VESC to a 12 volt lead acid battery through an anti-spark switch. I then connected the VESC to my SK3 6374 192kv BLDC motor (I'm intending to run 12S, and just using the 12V battery for setup).

I connected the VESC to my computer via USB, powered up the VESC and clicked connect in the BLDC tool. The tool informed me my firmware was out of date, which I dutifully updated. No problems.... I then set about doing motor detection and it worked fine, no problems. I entered the detected values in the config and saved the configuration. I went on to setup PPM to use with a GT2B remote. I setup the voltage limits, etc... Saved everything. I then rebooted the device.

On re-boot, however, I now get the red LED flashing 3 times. I had not seen that before. I can still connect to the VESC and read the configuration. It matches what I'd saved before. I check for faults from terminal, and it reports no faults have occurred so I'm not worried at that point... I mean, I have no idea what those flashing lights mean anyhow.

However, in fiddling with the BLDC tool to try and out what everything does, I decide I will re-run detection to see if the detected parameters are repeatable. Well, lo and behold, detection fails! Every time. After a failed detection, I got back to terminal and look for faults. There are none.

Lastly, I cannot get my GT2B controller to work at all. I can run the motor using the keyboard, both forward and reverse, with the BLDC tool, but I cannot get the ESC to run with the controller... I hae no idea why, perhaps something about the controller is fubar, not sure... (I did re-pair the transmitter and receiver to make sure that wasn't the issue).

So, between the flashing lights, the failing motor detection (on a motor where detection was previously successful) and the controller not working, I am beginning to suspect the VESC is an issue. However, terminal tells me no faults and I am not sure at all how to troubleshoot from here.

Thoughts from anyone are much appreciated.....

Levi Farley

Re: Failed detection after successful detection

Postby Levi Farley » 29 Apr 2016, 20:16

I read in another thread that certain faults are not latched including certain undervoltage faults, and it appears that means the faults will not show up when querying from terminal. So, I will try using a 6S battery (my 12S is split into two 6S) instead of this 12V lead acid and see what happens with that.

EDIT: Okay, "latch" actually means that the VESC will require a reset to function, and is not apparently related to fault reporting. So, that leaves me quite confused why I'm getting a drv8302 fault (as I have discovered is reflected by the 3 flashes of the LED), but nothing is reported when I type 'faults' into terminal...

Levi Farley

Re: Failed detection after successful detection

Postby Levi Farley » 03 May 2016, 22:50

Not sure why I'm posting except to maybe help other folks who run across similar issues.

First, 3 red led flashes is normal behavior on startup. Never could find that written anywhere, but found a post on a board elsewhere that said that was the case.

Second, subsequent detections appear to work *if* you click "read default configuration" before running detection a second time. It appears that re-running the detection with already detected parameters does not work.

Along the same lines, although I was capable of measuring R & L under the FOC tab, measuring lambda repeatedly failed until I clicked "read default configuration" and measured R & L again. Before doing that, measuring lambda always failed. Indeed, it was discovering this behavior of FOC configuration that led me to discover subsequent BLDC detections can work if you read default configuration first.

Return to “Hardware Problems”