Stop always at same position?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
fringeringer

Stop always at same position?

Postby fringeringer » 28 Aug 2018, 04:04

Is it possible so that whenever I throttle down to zero (1000us if pwm) that I can force the motor to stop always at the same location? I don't mind adding an encoder if need be.

Thanks! This is such a cool project!

pf26

Re: Stop always at same position?

Postby pf26 » 28 Aug 2018, 12:54

You can (nearly) do whatever you want wit ha customs app. There is a little bit of thinking precisely how you would want the speed ramp and slightly adjust the ramp to make sure the motor will stop where you want (I assume a dedicated position within one or more turns).
An encoder will make it simpler, and an absolute encoder even more (otherwise, you first need to make sure you went past the Index signal for reference).

fringeringer

Re: Stop always at same position?

Postby fringeringer » 28 Aug 2018, 14:18

That's pretty awesome. So it could it be done without an encoder? Not sure what an absolute encoder is.

I have looked at the encoder video online that has the AMT102 encoder in use and currently my biggest issue is hole mounting which for a couple of tests is no big deal but larger scale i dont want to drill countless motors or (or encoders).

I dont mind having it spin a full revolution once throttled down, it's more that I just want things to align to the same spot or close to it every time to make my life easy and want to set it that way from the beginning.

That would be great.

Looking forward to some efficiency testing too. I've read what others have said but nothing like in hand comparisons with traditional esc. This looks great!

Return to “General”