2000W sensored motor. Getting higher amps at low duty cycle.

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mdeken
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2000W sensored motor. Getting higher amps at low duty cycle.

Postby mdeken » 26 Jul 2018, 15:24

Hi,
I am trying to control a 2000W motor with a FOCBOX and Ackmaniac-ESC Tool. With FW: 3.102 and HW:410 (Starting from FW:2.18 and BLDC Tool)
But not really getting to torque I want (and expected) at low rpm.

My motor (MY1020 from Chines market):
Voltage: 48VDC
Output: 2000W
Rated speed: 4300RPM
Rated current: 42A

My setup:
I want to run this motor at 30V max, because of regulations, and therefore also know I'm losing power beforehand. I got a 1500W (30V 50A) switch power supply. I want to eventually use is to directly drive a drum for a treadmill belt, so it doesn't move and doesn't need a battery. I configured my motor without that many problems, and I can now control smoothly using low duty cycles (and even PID speed control above 500 ERPM) on both BLDC and FOC. Now when testing for torque (stalling with a wrench), at low duty (0.02 for example) I get motor amps of 17.5A (and can clearly stop it), but when using my arrow keys (duty cycle 0.18 or something) or just a higher duty cycle, the amps will go up to my set limit of max motor amps and produce much more torque when stalling (upping the limit even exceeds my capacity of stalling the motor and throws out my wrench, not recommended ;) ). I get that the motor can't output its full power at that low rpm, but how is it limited at 17.5A? That seems something to do with the software right?

In short: how do I get this kind of power when controlling the motor at low speeds. If I miss something important or need more info, please tell me...

Edit: Do I need PID to regulate the needed amount of duty cycle to run at a certain low speed with a high toque, or is duty cycle alone enough?

arvidb

Re: 2000W sensored motor. Getting higher amps at low duty cycle.

Postby arvidb » 29 Jul 2018, 16:35

mdeken

Postby mdeken » 30 Jul 2018, 07:26

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 30 Jul 2018, 23:28

For commutation, rotor position is calculated from sensors at low rpm and from back EMF at higher speed where back EMF is more reliable. Speed is estimated from rotor position using a phase-locked loop (pll_run() in mcpwm_foc.c). This speed value is reported in VESC Tool and also used as feedback to the speed PID loop. The speed PLL can be tuned using PLL Kp and PLL Ki in VESC Tool, if you get strange rpm values. (I don't know how well this works; I haven't played with the VESC's speed control.)

Edit: You could also check if speed control works better in BLDC mode; it uses a different method of calculating speed based on time between commutations. Note that you need to re-tune the PID loops when you switch between BLDC and FOC since the code is not shared (and is quite dissimilar) between the two modes.

Return to “General”