VESC dead (no more lights) probably STM32F4 ?

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
RyuX

VESC dead (no more lights) probably STM32F4 ?

Postby RyuX » 01 Apr 2018, 15:01

Dear community.
Yesterday I wanted to connect a bluetooth module to the UART Port when suddenly for a very short amount of time the RX and GND Pins touched because a cable came off.
I saw a tiny spark and then it was lights out.
After some troubleshooting I measured that GND and VDD hat a short circuit :(
After desoldering the STM32F405 the short circuit was gone which let's me guess that the MCU is cooked (any guesses what else could have been destroyed?)

I wonder if I can just get a new STM32F405 and connect a STLink V2 to the program port to upload a bootloader ?
If so I only have to send the HEX File for the bootloader and then I should be able to connect with the BLDC or VESC Tool to upload a firmware ?

I would really appreciate any help or comments...
Thanks!
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (127.34 KiB) Viewed 612 times

RyuX

Re: VESC dead (no more lights) probably STM32F4 ?

Postby RyuX » 01 Apr 2018, 19:16

Short sidenote:
After removing the STM32F405 and reconnecting the VESC I measured the voltage rails and I have 3,3V and 5V.
Also the PPM Receiver and the blue LED on the VESC is lighting up again (however the blue LED will be solid but start blinking after a while).
So hopefully my STM32F4 replacement from mouser will arrive soon so I can try to flash the bootloader.

Still I would be thankful for recommendations - As I read sometimes you have to flash the ChibiOS first and then the bootloader... (not sure if that's true).

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 02 Apr 2018, 14:04

ChibiOS is part of the VESC firmware. So no need to flash that separately. You need to flash the bootloader and the VESC firmware with the STLink V2. (I don't think just the bootloader is enough for VESC Tool to connect, but I'm not 100 % sure.) Then you can use VESC Tool to upgrade the firmware over USB, if you need to do that later.

RyuX

Postby RyuX » 02 Apr 2018, 14:07

Thanks for clarifying.
I just wondered because my Firmware is named: BLDC_4_ChibiOS and my Bootloader is named: BLDC_4_Bootloader.
When compiling the firmware I made sure that I set the Hardware to 4.12 before compiling it - at the bootloader I didn't see an option and just compiled it as is.
So I hope that should work.

RyuX

Postby RyuX » 09 Apr 2018, 15:58

Hey there

today I replaced the STM32F4 and have been able to upload the bootloader and firmware.
I connected the VESC with my PC - but motor detection will fail. The motor will only make cracking noises and not really move.
Could it be that my DRV is also damaged or is this more of a MCU problem ?
Thanks

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 12 Apr 2018, 17:29

Nice work replacing the STM32F4!

It's of course impossible to say what's wrong, but it is conceivable that something happened to the DRV and/or MOSFETs when the STM32F4 got fried. I would check that the MOSFETs are OK, at least. If they are OK and everything else seems fine, maybe try swapping out the DRV.

Return to “Hardware Problems”