Solar car races

Post and discuss your VESC projects here.
Thor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Solar car races

Postby Thor » 14 Sep 2017, 13:24

Mhh, that const is interessting but I can only find references to it in the BLDC code (mcpwm.c). I only use FOC mode and the issue is there, too. Therefore I doubt that this is the cause to the problems.

I also noticed that in FOC mode the triggered graphs are not 0 centered. It typically does not matter as the observer does not care about the absolute values of the channels. Only the differencials and timing are utilised to gain knowledge of the rotor position.

I am realy stoked to get on with the project. Especially as I now got the second controller ready to do a full replacement of our standart controllers in our cars. The World Solar Challenge happening right now is slowing things down, tho. Practically the whole team is down under at the moment and things will get worse before they get better. -.-

We will see.
Thor

Marto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Marto » 12 Nov 2017, 07:47

Hello Thor, I am interested in your project. Did you have further progress?. If I can help you with some testing let me know (I can build from your published design, but I would need to know if needs updating for both hardware and software).

Thor

Postby Thor » 12 Nov 2017, 22:54

Hey, nice to here there is still some interesst. I see you posted at Fallens thread, too. Do you have some specific scenario to use a VESC+ for?

The latest commits in my github repo contain some minor bug fixes and optimisations. Beyond that the design is pretty much final. At the moment two prototypes are installed in one of our solar cars. The rear suspension is f***ed so we can't test drive but this will be fixed soon. We still got two major tasks on the todo list. First is integrate the HSWR in the existing CAN bus of the car. Second is print a nice enclosure. Hopefully we will drive at early december.

You will need to modify the sources to fit some changes in the hardware. I documented them in my bachelor theses but I do not remember them now. If you are interessted I could send a copy over?

Thor

gv260ea

Postby gv260ea » 28 Jul 2018, 02:27

Hi, Thor I have built your shared design. Our motor runs relatively well with BLDC Sensored mode but as you know FOC is much better but I couldn't get it to work. Our motor is 120V but I kept all the voltage dividers the same as I'm afraid that it could burn the STM. If its not too much trouble could you please share the software modifications that you made in order to get FOC working

Thor

Postby Thor » 28 Jul 2018, 12:38

Hi gv260ea!
I am so happy that someone found my little project and thought it's worth while to rebuild it!

Firstly: Changing the voltage divider is not optional for two very good reasons:
1) The dividers are designed for 60V. Going up to 120V means that the controller is exposed to over 6V at its ADC pins! Additionally the current through the divider doubles and so the power loss quadruples. Without calculating it I am pretty sure that this exceeds the rating on the resistors. That's what happened to me!
2) With the original divider the controller can not measure voltages higher than approximately 62V but it needs to, to estimate the rotor position in FOC mode.

My recommendation for going up to 120V is: Change all dividers to 120k vs 3k3. If you are planning to go up to the full 200V (or even higher) use 220k instead.

If you are running on a bus voltage below 60V things should go smoothly, tho. The code is on GitHub. Check out my other repos. It's called HSWR2_firmware but hold on! The code there is deprecated. I did some changes that I still need to commit and upload to GitHub. The latest code is on my laptop at work, tho. I can push my changes on Monday. I will post an update here when I did so.

Alex

gv260ea

Postby gv260ea » 29 Jul 2018, 06:51

Hi, Thor thanks for the reply. The current dividers I have 160k with 3k3 for sense lines and bus line. Last night the driver burned so I'm assembling a new one. P.S. The bus voltage is 120V.

Edit:
I have flashed your firmware but I can't get any version of VESC tool to connect I have downloaded and compiled all versions from 0.86-0.89 They either say that the firmware is too old or too new.

Edit 2:
I have removed the firmware check on VESC-Tool V 0.87 Everything seems to work fine. P.S. Do I need to change anything for the current measurements. As they seem to be off.

Thor

Postby Thor » 30 Jul 2018, 12:50

What branch did you use? There are three: master, HSWR2 and Revolter100.
- master is a unchanged copy of benjamins original repo. Its currently at FW3.34
- HSWR2 is a hacked version that supports my "old" HSWR V2 hardware. It changed since then! I did not push all changes to the github remote, jet. So there is broken code in there! For example the hacked branch contains code that differentiates between phase and DC voltage dividers as this was necessary for the old 2.7 firmwares. It's not anymore!
- oldstable is a working backup of a hacked FW2.7 for the HSWR2. Forget about it. I will probably delete it soon.

Hardware changes that need to be reflected in firmware are these:
1) Current sense is reversed.
2) Voltage sense resistors are 160k/3k3.
3) Enable/disbale gate is reversed.
4) There is no dc calibration.
5) There is no DRV fault pin.

I already did the changes and merged them with FW3.34. I had no time to push them to my github today. Tomorrow will be it. I promise :)

gv260ea

Postby gv260ea » 30 Jul 2018, 13:08

AH, My bad I was wondering why I needed to make the changes that you listed as I thought you had done them.
Edit:
I didn't notice that the current sense was reversed. What exactly do you mean by reversed?

Thor

Postby Thor » 30 Jul 2018, 13:50

The sign is swaped. An easy fix is to use a negative gain.

gv260ea

Postby gv260ea » 31 Jul 2018, 06:12

Hi, Thor I have two question for you. Why did you connect the mosfets to a totem-pole output and what is the purpose of the 120ohm resistor. Why is there a 1uF capacitor right next to it. It is connected in parallel with the bootstrap capacitor but isn't it too far away from the mosfet drivers does it have another purpose?

Return to “VESC Projects”