VESC-based board(s) for sale....

If you plan to make a group order, if you have spare VESCs or parts for sale etc. you can post that here.
lizardmech

Re: VESC-based board(s) for sale....

Postby lizardmech » 24 Apr 2016, 12:15

Did you end up getting these running or are you still working on them?

rew

Postby rew » 26 Apr 2016, 08:59

I'm still working on them. But I have a motor with a prop on it and it runs fine at 700W. To go up to higher power levels, I need to mount a smaller prop and have it spin faster. And connect more batteries. I think it will handle the normal VESC power levels just fine.
I eventually want to expand the power-module further to go to even higher power levels. Hmm. I need to prod a friend of mine who promised me a bigger motor to test....

lizardmech

Postby lizardmech » 26 Apr 2016, 15:43

Did you have to change the firmware to run without the drv8302? I have my discovery board running VESC but I can't get it to do anything besides USB access. I built a powerstage for it but haven't been able to test it.

rew

Postby rew » 26 Apr 2016, 17:22

Nope. I did not do any changes related to the DRV. My "cpu module" just connects the lines for the DRV to the driver board, which then has them "floating" because I don't have an actual DRV....
The board was intended to be compatible with TI's FOC development kit. They have a DRV-with-SPI on there. VESC has a DRV-with-single-purpose outputs. But things seemed compatible so, I hooked things up so that they might be able to work.

TI's offering is "annoying". I don't like their development environment, and they don't support anything outside that. Their processor is proprietary (not ARM) and although they claim it's 32-bit it is actually an upgraded 16-bit design with addition of a 24-bit address bus and 32-bit registers. The CPU performs badly if you don't copy your code to RAM and execute from there. All too complicated for me.

Anyway, maybe I haven't even looked at what pins the DRV is supposed to be hooked up to. On the other hand, I probably tried to be VESC-hardware-compatible. I accept routing problems if that makes my board hardware compatible with Benjamin. That all is a bit laughable when Benjamin changes the pinout on a whim to have easier routing.... (and now there are multiple pinouts, so I can't be compatible with all of them....)

Vanarian

Postby Vanarian » 23 May 2016, 21:16

Hi,

I'm very interested by your modular setup! I need to be able to run 2 VESCs at 6S 70A continuous for now. What would you recommend to up the current safely on your boards?

Standard 4.xx layouts seem to meet lot of DRV failure due to temp and voltage spikes ; I'm interested in the safety margin of yours.

So far your tests looked good at 6S too. Do you have any video of it running the prop ? I may take 2 from you :)

Keep going!

rew

Postby rew » 24 May 2016, 08:31

At 6S 30 or preferably 40V MOSFETs would work. You can help by finding affordable good mosfets. I have one with irfs7437 on there. On the other hand, that doesn't buy us much in terms of RDSON compared to the '7540, it only makes a difference in the price.

If benjamin's design starts losing on switching losses, then mine might win out with a higher possible load. I don't know yet. With a bit of care, a heatsink might be possible on mine. In that case, you have to be not-stupid like I was, and prepare to cool the proper side of the PCB, which is the back side. (I started out assembling it with everything sticking out on the bottom to make the top flat for a heatsink. IRF tells me: no! Cool the bottom!).

But the second "beta tester position" is still still open. :-) Feel free to contact me (PM, Email?) to discuss the options. I'll have to look how many are "ready" or can be made ready on short notice.....

Vanarian

Postby Vanarian » 26 May 2016, 10:24

Ok I PM you ;)

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 20 Aug 2016, 15:44

Hi rew,

I might be interested in one of your setups. Do you have any left to sell?

A few questions:

* Can I get a schematic (at least a PDF or even printed paper version) of the exact version that I buy?
* Where do you publicise the changes to Benjamin's code? I need to be able to find the exact version to use for the board I buy (preferably as patches to the VESC firmware or, even better, as a link to your git clone of the VESC firmware).
* Is it correct that the current version needs one external 12 V power supply (in addition to the motor power)?
* Can you clarify the price: is it €60 + shipping or €60 for components + €60 to you + shipping?

My intended use for this would be as a lab platform for playing around with the VESC firmware, hopefully contributing patches for code quality some time in the future (I'm a software engineer by trade, and although I've seen much worse code, there's still a lot to be done to simplify and clarify the firmware code).

rew

Postby rew » 21 Aug 2016, 10:09

That offer of 60 euros was "as long as supplies last": two. Those are the "beta testers" and it costs me money when someone (me or them) finds a bug: I have to get it fixed. So that's why I planned on two test locations and not more.

Currently: Although I have one working just fine in my bike for over three months now, on my friend's bike it was blown to pieces the first time we pushed the throttle. I can now reproduce "something going wrong" in my lab. That needs to be fixed first before I sell any more.

Today: Trying to get a display working (i.e. live readouts on an LCD display).

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 21 Aug 2016, 11:09

Ok. :)

Let me know when/if you want to sell additional units!

Return to “For sale, orders, etc.”