Balance control skateboard

Support for creating custom user applications on the VESC.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
0gri
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Balance control skateboard

Postby 0gri » 30 Dec 2015, 11:26

Hi all, Having read several forums and posts on the subject of esk8 projects, I am interested in stimulating interest and information exchange with regard to balance control for an e-skateboard build. Many readers will be familiar with both Justin at GrinTech's maker-fair project, and the Z-board, but as yet no other 'weight-sensing' projects have been well documented, or entirely open-source.
The VESC has generated enormous interest from both RC and EV communities, and it seems that this electronically powerful and compact ESC, being open-source and enthusiast driven, might work well as the basis for a balance control system. I am an enthusiast and hobby engineer, not a programmer or electronics engineer, but I am hoping that this idea may be of interest to others and gain some traction.
The idea as it stands, is to have a load cell (strain gauge), and signal conditioning amplifier on each truck, both of which could output a 0-5V signal dependent on weight distribution. Although I am not familiar with how this might interface with VESC, I am envisioning relatively simple control algorithms, such as
1. Input from both trucks is same, maintain current speed.
2. Input difference between trucks to cause proportional change in acceleration (+ve), or deceleration (variable regen, -ve).
3. Threshold weight for activation.
4. Reverse enabled if deceleration causes speed to reach 0m/s, and maintained for specified interval.

Any thoughts or contributions to this topic would be greatly welcome.

Finally, it goes without saying that without Benjamin's generous and enlightened attitude to open-source development, we would not be on this path, emerging from the academic darkness of 'confidentiality disclosure' and 'commercial sensitivity', into the light of shared knowledge and collective progress.
0gri

0gri

Re: Balance control skateboard

Postby 0gri » 25 Jan 2016, 18:20

Hello again all, Well there seems to be some interest since over 100 people have viewed this post, however no additional input?! Is this posted in the wrong place? Could someone, by any chance, at least chime in to reveal the ppm (pwm?) protocol used by the VESC? I do not yet have a VESC or an oscilloscope, and so I am unable to view the ppm signal. I'm particularly interested to know how VESC recognises direction control through the ppm input. Best regards. 0gri

Return to “Custom Applications”