Old pick and place machine

Support for creating custom user applications on the VESC.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
galp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Old pick and place machine

Postby galp » 13 Jun 2016, 16:24

Hello!

I have a very old P&P machine at home with servo motors but no working drivers. Servos are 450W and 750W. I have recently seen Benjamin's video on youtube about position control implementation with BLDC motors and want to try it on this machine.

I have two VESCs and Turnigy SK3 motors at home (on a longboard) and also few incremental encoders. Before buying anything new I would like to try how it works. Motor mounts should not be a problem because I have a small mill suitable for machining aluminum. I want to turn the P&P machine in a 3D printer eventually.

Here are a few pictures of my machine.

I should get away in terms of power and torque but I'm not sure about motors overheating. Some active cooling is most likely inevitable. I also haven't thought of a cost efficient way to power them. For testing 60V 40A lab power supply should do.

A custom application will be required to make VESC work with step and dir signals.

Your thoughts?

scienceworks

Re: Old pick and place machine

Postby scienceworks » 13 Jun 2016, 17:08

youve seen that project already?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221

my thoughts, its would be a waste to make a 3d printer out of that machine, why dont you rebuild it to a modern pick n place again?

galp

Postby galp » 13 Jun 2016, 17:19

I haven't seen that project before. I'll take a look.

galp

Postby galp » 22 Jun 2016, 15:16

Here's an update.

I machined one motor mount (that fits in the machine) for SK3 motor and encoder for testing. Sensorless FOC works great but not with my encoder. I only have 9 bit encoders at home and it seems code is written for 13 bit (I get around 22° before it jums to 0; 360°/16=22.5°). My encoders are RLS RM22 ().

I will eventually need a 13 bit encoder for better positioning accuracy, especially with 1 cm pitch lead screws in my machine. Before spending money on new encoders I'd like to know if it is possible to modify the source code, so it would also work with 9 bit encoders?

I also made a short video demonstrating the difference in sound/noise produced by the motor with FOC or with the old implementation.

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 22 Jun 2016, 18:16

There is a setting (macro) MCCONF_M_ENCODER_COUNTS in mcconf/mcconf_default.h that is set to 8192. You could probably change this to the value you need and rebuild the code.

Maybe there's also a setting i blcd-tool somewhere?

galp

Postby galp » 23 Jun 2016, 11:53

There is! Thank you.

Motor configuration -> Advanced

Return to “Custom Applications”