VESC killed?

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
maxi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VESC killed?

Postby maxi » 12 Feb 2016, 09:27

I fear that I just killed my VESC.

After successfull FOC detection procedure I tryed to test the touque of the motor which was higher than expected :-)

Awkwardly I produced a short circuit between two motor windings during the motor was running.
Now no kind of motor detection or running is possible. The red LED is blinking three times and the response after the "faults" command after a BLDC detection in the terminal is:

The following faults were registered since start:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302
Current : -0.3
Current filtered : -0.1
Voltage : 14.29
Duty : 0.01
RPM : 91.7
Tacho : 264
Cycles running : 1
TIM duty : 281
TIM val samp : 11
TIM current samp : 26277
TIM top : 52532
Comm step : 4
Temperature : 27.59

Does this mean the DVR is killed and must be exchanged?

Max

benjamin
Site Admin

Re: VESC killed?

Postby benjamin » 14 Feb 2016, 12:51

If you short two winding and try to run the motor something will fail. It is likely to be the DRV and/or some MOSFETs. The overcurrent protection does not help when the output is shorted because the inductance becomes so low in a short that the current will rise too quickly to do something about it in software.

david

Re: VESC killed?

Postby david » 14 Feb 2016, 13:30

I'm sorry to hear that, that's really bad luck Max. It might be a good idea to implement a fuse to prevent this from happening again. I also killed a RC ESC by a short in the motor and since then I use Benjamin's powerswitch with fuse on all my boards. You can find the details also in Benjamin's github.
VESCs made in Germany

Return to “Hardware Problems”