VESC DRV8302 Problems MOSFET Swapping Considerations to all!

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
pf26

Re: VESC DRV8302 Problems MOSFET Swapping Considerations to all!

Postby pf26 » 29 Dec 2017, 09:00

Unsoldering the FETs with hot air should be quite easy if you had a hot air station.
I think you better leave the FETs in place and add a thick copper bar to the drain of the 3 top FETs, in order to connect them thermally with your aluminum case (it will connect these electrically too, unless you have an electrically isolating - thermaly conducting- sheet in beween).
I would still prefer soldering a thin copper or brass tube to these 3 FETs, and circulate water/antifreeze to a heat exchanger attached to your casing, using little pumps like used for water cooling CPU. Soldering a thin copper tube would be much easier than using an already precharged CPU cooling system (like https://pp.userapi.com/c836638/v836638554/31070/WA1hglkx2jE.jpg) which constantly sucks heat away and requires huge soldering power.
@TheFallen: do you know if the VESC from Ebay (with all FETs on one side) works well ? The layout seems strange to me with the 3 output wires very near to STM32, and the shunts opposite side of pcb than incoming dc power..

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 29 Dec 2017, 21:59

pf26 wrote:@TheFallen: do you know if the VESC from Ebay (with all FETs on one side) works well ? The layout seems strange to me with the 3 output wires very near to STM32, and the shunts opposite side of pcb than incoming dc power..

I've had 4 of them running C80100s very nicely. I've not extensively tested it but I would assume that they can handle more than the standard 50-60Amps too.

Ecyclist

Postby Ecyclist » 31 Dec 2017, 02:39

pf26 wrote:Unsoldering the FETs with hot air should be quite easy if you had a hot air station.
I think you better leave the FETs in place and add a thick copper bar to the drain of the 3 top FETs, in order to connect them thermally with your aluminum case (it will connect these electrically too, unless you have an electrically isolating - thermaly conducting- sheet in beween).
I would still prefer soldering a thin copper or brass tube to these 3 FETs, and circulate water/antifreeze to a heat exchanger attached to your casing, using little pumps like used for water cooling CPU. Soldering a thin copper tube would be much easier than using an already precharged CPU cooling system (like https://pp.userapi.com/c836638/v836638554/31070/WA1hglkx2jE.jpg) which constantly sucks heat away and requires huge soldering power.
@TheFallen: do you know if the VESC from Ebay (with all FETs on one side) works well ? The layout seems strange to me with the 3 output wires very near to STM32, and the shunts opposite side of pcb than incoming dc power..

Water cooling is definitely not for me.
Is it possible to replace standard FETs of 4.12 VESC with Direct FETs?
This will do the trick for me.

ThierryGTLTS

Postby ThierryGTLTS » 31 Dec 2017, 08:55

Not possible because it's not the same footprint.

And Direct FETs are very difficult to solder.

A very small fan can do the job, or have a look at the VESC 6 done by Stewii here http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/hw6-4-based-esc-escape/37579

Have a Nice Day and Happy New Year 2018.

Thierry

Ecyclist

Postby Ecyclist » 31 Dec 2017, 17:19

ThierryGTLTS wrote:Not possible because it's not the same footprint.

And Direct FETs are very difficult to solder.

A very small fan can do the job, or have a look at the VESC 6 done by Stewii here http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/hw6-4-based-esc-escape/37579

Have a Nice Day and Happy New Year 2018.

Thierry

Thierry thank you for pointing me in a right direction and saving me a lot of time.
That ESCape is exactly what I was looking for.

Happy New Year!

Return to “Hardware Problems”