USB port lost

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
Nordle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

USB port lost

Postby Nordle » 24 Mar 2017, 20:35

Hey, i lost my usb port on one of my vesc's. Is it possible to use an stLinkV2 instead? Never worked with such a device but i own one^^

arvidb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: USB port lost

Postby arvidb » 25 Mar 2017, 15:47

What do you mean, you lost it? Like, it got physically broken off?

You can use an ST-Link/V2 to flash a new firmware and debug it, but it's not a replacement for the USB connection. BLDC-Tool cannot use it to communicate with the VESC.

Nordle

Postby Nordle » 25 Mar 2017, 21:10

Yes that's what i mean.
So only way to use BLDC tool again on that VESC is to solder a new usb connection?

rew

Postby rew » 26 Mar 2017, 06:19

You can use an STLINK (I use the $8 ones from ebay) to flash new firmware.

You can use a $1 USB-TTL-serial from ebay to control the VESC over the UART.

But as far as I know, if you select another app than "uart" you might change the uart pins into somethign else, and then YOU won't be able to use BLDC-tool anymore....

Nordle

Postby Nordle » 26 Mar 2017, 19:46

thanx
Then if my currently selected controle mode is pwm, the usb TTL-serial also wont work? Or do i confusing something? also i dont understand what you mean with changing uart pins.

rew

Postby rew » 27 Mar 2017, 09:02

My memory is like sieve these days. I do remember seeing code that would change the uart pins to some other function under some circumstance.

I think the PWM input is on another pin than the uart, so in theory they could co-exist.

Under the current software setup, you need to select the right app: "PWM AND UART". In my proposed setup, the PWM and UART apps would simply coexist. (and could be activated simultaneously because they do not have a resource conflict).

Nordle

Postby Nordle » 29 Mar 2017, 19:48

Ok so there is no way to use this VESC again? cant solder a new port cause solder pads are finished...

Nordle

Postby Nordle » 29 Mar 2017, 19:54

Maybe some one could adapt firmware for me, so i could use other pins to solder a new usb? Dunno if that would work, and how much work that would be?

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 29 Mar 2017, 21:13

I think rew is saying that it would work (using the UART instead of the USB, that is).

Also, if you are able to solder, you could glue another USB port onto the PCB on its back, and use tiny wires between it and the dataline resistors (R103, R104), +5V and GND, "dead bug" style. No wires should go directly to the cpu.

Nordle

Postby Nordle » 30 Mar 2017, 18:15

Well, then i thank you both for helping me with my problem.

Return to “Hardware Problems”