VESC connection problems

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: VESC connection problems

Postby rew » 12 Feb 2017, 18:15

If your theory is that the VESC is functioning properly, but just not doing USB, then there are just something like three wires involved in getting USB to work. Getting those three wires to work is much easier than writing new software to be able to flash the config into a non-usb VESC.

kkolehma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby kkolehma » 13 Feb 2017, 10:02

That is true, only thing is that there are not many things in the PCB related to USB that could be wrong. I have to measure if there would be something obvious in the routing, but I am afraid that it is unlikely. My fear is that USB subsystem in STM32 is busted because of me not connecting the ground wire on USB.

Other option that comes to mind is that the 8Mhz crystal (or capacitors) would be somehow corrupt, but then I would doubt that STM32 could fall back to internal oscillator and in that case it should not boot up correctly.

Unless there is easy way to flash the settings with ST-link or those USB lines comes to alive somehow, I think I have to give up on these two VESCs as well and use different PWM based ESC for now.

pf26

Postby pf26 » 13 Feb 2017, 11:41

I think the default app is UART, so you should be able to use the UART (possibly via bluetooth) to communicate and configure the VESC.
in appconf_default.h:
#define APPCONF_APP_TO_USE APP_UART

You can easily change the default app here (I've done it and it works for me, to use my custom app immediately after flash upgrade)

rew

Postby rew » 14 Feb 2017, 09:38

Oh, yeah...

Just use an USB-to-ttl serial adapter and hook it up to your computer. You can then use BLDC_TOOL to communicate through the UART app.... (it is actually the same code that does usb-serial).

kkolehma

Postby kkolehma » 15 Feb 2017, 11:50

Thanks for the hint. I'll have to try that. I got one FTDI based USB adapter which hopefully does the job.

rew

Postby rew » 17 Feb 2017, 08:12

kkolehma

Postby kkolehma » 18 Feb 2017, 12:14

I've tried connecting to VESC via UART from BLDC tool. No success unfortunately...

Here is my connection. the UART adapter if FTDI based debug interface board from Acme Systems. I can obviously connect to the serial port on the computer but the firmware version query response I get from VESC is -1, -1 for major and minor version. Connection status goes to disconnected right after the response.

Lets see if I can attach some pictures showing the connections.
20170218_140337.jpg
20170218_140337.jpg (443.08 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
20170218_140323.jpg
20170218_140323.jpg (286.2 KiB) Viewed 3590 times

It starts to seem more and more likely that somehow the Chinese 36V power supply that I used for testing ( my lab power only gives 15V which is not enough for the electronics) has caused some major damage as I have already fried two Atmel SoC's that are used by the Arietta G25 and 3.5" TFT display that was connected does not look too healthy either....

I need to figure out hoe to protect the electronics better...

rew

Postby rew » 18 Feb 2017, 22:03

yeah, well my working theory has always been that there is more wrong than just the USB being blown up.
In my experience sending 30V into the STM32 causes a small sound that can be interpreted as: "uh-oh, I did it again", and the STM does not like it.

Return to “Hardware Problems”