Enertion Vesc can’t connect to my pc. (Only blue led on)

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
laikiux

Enertion Vesc can’t connect to my pc. (Only blue led on)

Postby laikiux » 07 Jan 2017, 11:20

Hello,
I have ordered Enertion 4.12 Vesc from the last batch. Now I'm trying to set up it, and run motor detection.
Firstly, I connected vesc over the usb port and then powered it with 12V PSU. But only blue led is on. I have tried different usb cables even swopped pc's with different OS, tried to power it with 36V, but the same problem occurs. Maybe you have any suggestions? I guess that Vesc is missing BL/firmware
There is the video (not mine, but the same problem):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenIvSAVTyA

imval

Re: Enertion Vesc can’t connect to my pc. (Only blue led on)

Postby imval » 01 Mar 2017, 11:16

Hello,
You probably solved this issue since the post but yep it looks like your VESC has no firmware in it.

It should at least blink a few times RED on power-on (mines does so) and then show a dim green light.

almogu

Postby almogu » 22 Jun 2017, 17:27

How the problem was solved. Mine came to root to change the firm from version 4.18 to 2.17

f00860

Postby f00860 » 10 Sep 2017, 14:47

I have the exact same problem. Things I've checked/done:

* There are no short circuits. The MCU received the 5V from USB. Everything looks fine from the hardware standpoint IMHO.
* I've soldered in R6 (0 Ohm) to power the MCU from the USB rail.
* The blue LED is (always) on if powered from USB or SWD/programmer. No other LEDs are blinking or do things.
* No parts getting warm or act stange
* qstlink2 recognize the MCU with "STM32F405/415/407/417x"
* The OS does not recognize anything (dmesg) if I connect/disconnect the VESC over USB
* Flashing the firmware works fine, the bootloader flash process hangs after the verification process:

Code: Select all

0x2000
WARNING: target/stm32f4x_stlink.cfg is deprecated, please switch to target/stm32f4x.cfg
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v17 API v2 SWIM v4 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.254534
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread
xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0x08000000 msp: 0x20000800
adapter speed: 8000 kHz
** Programming Started **
auto erase enabled
Info : device id = 0x10076413
Info : flash size = 1024kbytes
wrote 131072 bytes from file build/BLDC_4_Bootloader.elf in 8.157014s (15.692 KiB/s)
** Programming Finished **
** Verify Started **
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Thread
xPSR: 0x61000000 pc: 0x2000002e msp: 0x20000800
verified 4288 bytes in 0.706191s (5.930 KiB/s)
** Verified OK **
** Resetting Target **
.... hangs here ... ^C

Setup in use:
* VESC Version 4.12 (I've ordered/soldered the parts myself, the PCB is from eBay)
* ArchLinux (I've installed all dependencies)
* Firmware/Bootloader source from 2017-09-10 (I've "#define"d HW_VERSION_410)
* ST-Link V2 programmer from eBay (it works fine with qstlink2 and openocd)

I have no idea how to debug this further. I am a little lost here :(

Black_Like_a_Cat

Postby Black_Like_a_Cat » 18 Sep 2017, 20:26

Have you gotten any farther with this? I am tearing my hair out. I built a vesc v4.12 from a pcb and was having trouble getting the bootloader loaded with a ST-Link v2 programmer. I was able to get the linux "make upload" to say it loaded the firmware but when I tried to do the same to the bootloader it just hung on the reset part. I couldn't notice anything different with the LEDs except for maybe they were blinking 3 times in a row as opposed to a working vesc that blinked twice when powered on.

I tried using the ST-link utility to download, copy, and upload the firmware from the working vesc to the one I built but that didn't seem to help. After messing with it for a few days I decided to plug the working vesc into the new Vesc-tool and see if I could download an image. There is no option for that by the way. I don't know why but I felt like maybe I could upgrade the firmware version on the working vesc and try everything again, but that ended up being a terrible idea.

Once I "upgraded" the working vesc w/ a 4.12 firmware using the VESC-TOOL the vesc promptly never created another comm port. I used the ST utility to compare the checksums to my original backup and indeed they were different. Trying to restore the backup from the ST utility did not get vesc to create the USB comm port again even though the comparisons matched again. I wondered if the programming addresses were right (0x800 and 0x80E) so I hooked it up to my linux box and ran the make upload commands again. I can get the lights to blink 2 in a row when connected to the st-link v2 but it still will not create a comm port on linux or in windows.

Do anyone have any ideas for this issue? Are there any flags we need to set to get the bootloader to create a Serial over USB comm port? I have digging though the source but I'm not terrible familiar with this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

f00860

Postby f00860 » 19 Sep 2017, 20:10

I've also had the problem loosing the serial connection on the ST-Link. Plug it in a other USB-Port (other USB-Hub) brought it back to life.
But to your question if I had success: No, not at all. I've tried several things (see my post), but I did not get it working. Having the same issues with the bootloader on flashing it. make upload flashes the bootloader but after that it hangs. Not sure if this is a problem because it occurs after the verification process. But is Must be the firmware because the STM32 won't boot :(

I am absolutely lost here. Next thing I can do is throw my laborious soldered PCBs in the trash and buy a of the shelf VESC from china, so I dont waste any more time and money on that :(
If someone have any ideas what else to check or have some hints for debugging this, it would be awesome!

Aaron

daveshorts

Postby daveshorts » 04 Feb 2018, 10:17

Did anyone have any luck solving this?

I seem to have very similar problems uploading a bootloader, and communicating with my PC after trying to reprogram the firmware.
viewtopic.php?f=7&p=8766#p8766

help

Return to “Hardware Problems”