Control with PWM doesn't start directly

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cr4psy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Control with PWM doesn't start directly

Postby Cr4psy » 05 Dec 2016, 08:13

I'm trying to control the ESC with a PWM signal from an arduino mini. I set a value on the arduino but nothing change, the motor stay static.
However, if I'm connect a LED from ground to the output and take it off, then the motor start to move. (I used a LED without resistor just to see if there were power and this strange behavior happened.)
I thought first it was because the voltage was only 3.3V, so I added a transistor connected to 5V but I had still the same problem.
Is there anything special to do, like add a pull-up/pull-down resistor ?

Thank you in advance

rew

Re: Control with PWM doesn't start directly

Postby rew » 05 Dec 2016, 10:12

The VESC is 3.3V, so you're better off sending it signals of 3.3V than of 5V. Many pins on the CPU are "5 volt tolerant" as they say, but some are not.

Cr4psy

Postby Cr4psy » 06 Dec 2016, 12:13

Thank you for the advice. Is there any specific messages that we have to send previously to a PWM signal. Because it looks like the motor doesn't answer, until we give a signal ?

rew

Postby rew » 08 Dec 2016, 09:22

If you have PWM configured and PWM works in general, then there is no extra command to send.

Vedder IIRC has a 1K resistor in the PWM line. He recommends reducing that to 100 ohms if sending out PWM. Anyway, in your case that shouldn't matter (just thinking aloud).

Does the delay also happen in BLDC mode?

Return to “Hardware Problems”