pushing leads to memory loss of VESC

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
robt
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: pushing leads to memory loss of VESC

Postby robt » 19 Nov 2016, 23:55

Interesting, seems like the same happened here. How did you fix this issue? Was thinking about reflashing FW

rew

Postby rew » 20 Nov 2016, 15:07

When you push, the motor generates back EMF. This voltage charges the capacitors and once the voltage exceeds say 6V, the whole system will boot up. Of course, until you reach "bat min" voltage the VESC will refuse to power the motor.

Your symptoms sound as if the VESC would be writing things to flash and then crashes before it's finished. Then on next boot it would verify the checksum and revert back to the default when it doesn't match.

As normally nothing is written to flash, this is a weird scenario. Personally I would like the VESC to write a log with for example fault codes to the flash but this has not been implemented yet....

One of the things to watch out for is that if you have a brake, you are NOT allowed to activate it with the battery disconnected. The system will boot just fine from the back EMF. And braking works and tries to charge the batter. With no battery, it will charge "just the capacitors" and those fill up beyond 60V really quickly..... That in turn is unheathy for the DRV and the mosfets....

robt

Postby robt » 21 Nov 2016, 13:04

In fact, damage to mine was much more. The VESC has now a bad DRV :( . Im suspecting this happened while pushing the board. I gave it a gentle push inside the house unpowered and suddenly the brakes come on full power. strange. Next thing I know when Im trying to setup a new remote is that the motor stutters and I read DRV fault, and later many overcurrent faults as if there are short circuits in the commutation.

Setup is 8s BLDC so really on the safe side here.

Frustrating...

Return to “Hardware Problems”