VESC 4.7 strange behaviour

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Garfield
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VESC 4.7 strange behaviour

Postby Garfield » 02 Sep 2016, 22:03

Hello,

I have a problem with one of my two VESC4.7. I use one lead acid battery (for testing purpose only) and power both VESC with that battery.
VESC1 behaves normally, everything is working. This means fast current steps from positive to negative, Motor detect and so on (Motors are free spinning). I use the Firmware 2.18 and have the capacitor Mod soldered on my board (one 4,7µF).

VESC2 has the problem that it doesn't start up correctly everytime. Sometimes the green LED goes on and sometimes not. If the green LED stays off a little bit of turning the Motor reactivates the green LED and ther processor starts sometimes. If the processor is started I could connect with the BLDC-Tool and change settings and everything.
When I try to make a Motor detect (same settings like in VESC1) the Motor starts for a split of a second and then the whole VESC2 turns off and I have lost the connection.
In two (out of like 50 positive connections) I was able to spin the Motor with 2Amps in current Mode (with the Motor values saved from VESC1 because both Motors are the same). While spinning I typed "volt" in the terminal of both VESCs and the result was at VESC1=12.24V and at VESC2=10.12V, remember the same battery with an Y-Connector. When VESC2 delivers no current to the Motor the readings were the same.

Does anyone have an clue what could possible be wrong with my VESC2?

edit: I forgo to mention that I use a BLDC-Hub Motor with Hall Sensors connected

Thanks in advance,
Garfield

Garfield

Re: VESC 4.7 strange behaviour

Postby Garfield » 03 Sep 2016, 09:54

Okay I think I found the problem.

It was the Hall Sensor in the Motor. If I disconnect only the +5V for the Halls from the VESC everything works in sensorless Mode. With the +5V connected nothing works even in sensorless. It seems that the Halls draw too much current or something else (I couldn't see any voltage drop outs at +5V with my oscilloscope). But they are definitely defect so I had to disassemble my Motor and replace the Hall Sensors.

Second thing I had a faulty/loose connection in the Battery cable.

Thanks,
Garfield

Garfield

Postby Garfield » 03 Sep 2016, 11:09

One last question, what type of Hall Sensor could be used by the VESC TLE4935 (bipolar latching) or TLE4905 (unipolar latching)?

Thanks in advance,
Garfield

Garfield

Postby Garfield » 13 Dec 2016, 08:59

I exchanged the HALL sensors in the motor to TLE 4935 and the problem persist. I did some measurements and found out that a weak/cold solder joint at the HALL filter was the problem.
What I learned:
- TLE4935 works very well with the VESC 4.7
- a weak/cold solder joint at the HALL filter could cause resets of the complete VESC when a sensor is connected

Return to “Hardware Problems”