Powerless motor after a heavy ride

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Roboshack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Powerless motor after a heavy ride

Postby Roboshack » 29 Dec 2015, 12:42

Hi Benjamin,
hi community,

I use a VESC for my DIY longboard for about 6 months and became a sort of VESC evangelist during that time. :D The ESC used to work perfect and I have a lot of fun riding my board. So first of all I want to thank you (Benjamin) for your great work on the worlds finest brushless speed controller.

Due to the unusually warm and sunny weather around xMas (15°C in Germany :o ) I took my board for a ride with my 10 year old daughter two days ago. I used my eLongboard, she rode her unmotorized "standard" longboard. We had the idea to pull her along with my motorized longboard, which we did for over half an hour. It is clear that this was heavy duty for both, my VESC and the motor but my board did the job almost effortlessly.

After half an hour, the board slowed down and would no longer let me transmit full (but reduced) power to the motors. I thought of a heat problem ( supposed the MOSFETs reached the "start" temperature of 80°C and the temperature control did its job). So we paused our ride for a short time to give both VESC and the motor time to cool down.

After that we could continue our ride without any limitations, but after a couple of minutes I had the same problem of no full motor power as before. Again, we waited some minutes and tried to move on. This time the motor power completely died away after a short time and never returned to life. :shock:

I suppose, that one of the MOSFETs has overheated and died away, but I am not sure. Before I explain what little things I already tested, I write down my setup.

1. Batteries:

I use 2 10s LiPo Batteries (switched parallel) to gain a proper range. I checked both, they are still working fine.

2. Motor:

I have a single motor setup with a "Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 – 6364" from Hobbyking with 213 kv. Of course, it could also be a motor problem. Unfortunately I have no other ESC to test the motor properly. I only did some kind of weird "quick test" by turning the motor shaft after holding first two and then all three motor connector cables together. I had to use more torque to turn the motor shaft after connecting the cables which is supposed to be an indication, that the motor is working properly. I also suppose that if the motor died, it would have happened suddenly without first reducing the motor power.

3. VESC: I purchased my VESC from Enertionboards.com as a fully assembled ESC. It is version 4.7 with firmware 1.10

Here is the configuration of my VESC:
Bildschirmfoto 2015-12-29 um 12.22.33.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-12-29 um 12.22.33.png (167.44 KiB) Viewed 3690 times

And here are some pictures of the ESC. I could not detect any "cooked" or "burned" parts or solder joints. Even the MOSFETs look fine to me.

IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG (123.64 KiB) Viewed 3690 times

IMG_3555.JPG
IMG_3555.JPG (118.11 KiB) Viewed 3690 times

When connecting the ESC to power, the usual LEDs start to light up. It also receives signals from my Nunchuck, as the LEDs start blinking when I move the joystick. Connecting it to the BLDC tool I am able to read the motor configuration. Nevertheless, the motor detection fails without a specific error message. :(

What do you think is the most probable reason? What further tests can I do to isolate the problem and to fix it?

Any help is highly appreciated as I want to ride my board again as soon as possible. ;)

Thanks in advance for your help an best regards,

Sascha

benjamin
Site Admin

Re: Powerless motor after a heavy ride

Postby benjamin » 29 Dec 2015, 13:14

Hi Sascha,
Can you type faults in the terminal after running detection and trying to run the motor?

Roboshack

Postby Roboshack » 29 Dec 2015, 16:32

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your quick reply.

When I try a motor detection I get the Message "Bad Detection Result Received" in the lower right corner of the BLDC screen (where usually the "connected" or "disconnected" status shows up). When I type "faults" in the terminal window, I receive "No faults registered since startup". Even after a failed motor detection.

Cheers,

Sascha

Roboshack

Postby Roboshack » 30 Dec 2015, 18:27

Hi everybody,

I still have no idea, how to fix my problem. :o I measured the electric resistivity of the battery- and motor cables to be sure, that the solider joints are still OK. Everything seems to be fine.

Would there be a specific error code if the motor or one of the MOSFETs got damaged? What could be the reason that my motor does not respond or every motor detection fails without any error code when I check it in the terminal?

What else can I do to pin down the problem?

Best regards,

Sascha

jpa

Postby jpa » 02 Jan 2016, 15:17

Sometimes the motor magnets can get damaged from overheating, which would explain reduced power output. One way to test this would be to short-circuit all phases and see how much it resists (brakes).

whitepony

Postby whitepony » 23 Mar 2016, 16:27

I had the exact same symptoms - going up a hill with 80A motor, 60A battery max on SK6374 -> board slowed down, WAYYY too little torque considering the motor and battery. the vesc was equipped with 6 heat sinks on each mosfet even. I let it cool down, went to the same slope, full throttle, the board jumped forward 20m and then went dead and stayed dead.

i connected another 12S ESC (torqueboard, diyelectricskateboard) and had TONS more torque and an ambient-cold ESC, even after doing the slope several times. even my battery warmed up which never happened with the vesc.

not sure yet why the vesc is generating so much heat while at the same time yieling so little torque. :?

Return to “Hardware Problems”