Impossible to flash

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
alexisthethe

Impossible to flash

Postby alexisthethe » 15 Aug 2017, 10:01

Hi guys,

I recently wanted to try a personal code on the STM32 of the VESC board, so I flashed an "empty" code on the STM32 generated with CubeMX and Keil-uVision.
Now, it is impossible to flash the bldc-firmware back.
Is there a chance I burnt my chip ?
Is it possible to flash a code wich is not the bldc-firmware on the VESC STM32 ?

Thanks for your answers guys.
Alexis

rew

Re: Impossible to flash

Postby rew » 15 Aug 2017, 15:26

Yes it is possible to run other firmware. But, there are a few things on the VESC that could go wrong if you start toggling IO pins without thinking about what they do.

If you use some STLINK like device to program your other firmware into the vesc, you should also use that to re-program the VESC firmware.

alexisthethe

Postby alexisthethe » 15 Sep 2017, 19:01

hey rew,
thanks for your reply.

I actually flash a kinda blank code into the VESC with cubeMX using a STLINK, and I should have toggled some IO pins.

Now I use STLINK to flash the VESC program but that does not still work..

Have I toggled some pins that disable flashing it again ?

rew

Postby rew » 16 Sep 2017, 10:16

"good engineering" dictates that hardware designers make their stuff such that the software guys cannot break it.
In practice, nowadays with an ESC like the VESC that is not realistic. Software is part of the module that protects itself against breakage. And as with all open source, if you break it, you get to keep the pieces...

Now, if you programmed in a blank program, that did not toggle any IO pins, the chances of things going horribly wrong and your VESC dieing are small.

But if "cube" decided that you took say the STM32F4discovery example, which has a LED on PA10 and PB15 and that it will flash those for you to show that the programming worked,then... you're screwed.

Reprogramming should be possible unless such a mishap broke your CPU. Unlikely IMHO. But you ARE seeing the hints. Reprogramming should simply be possible and you're saying it doesn't work.

Return to “Hardware Problems”