Assembled my VESC and need help with motor detection

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
joaolino
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Assembled my VESC and need help with motor detection

Postby joaolino » 31 Jul 2017, 21:41

Hi guys,

First post so... Vedder, thanks for the vESC. Countless hours of fun have been had while riding my board with your ESC. I'm a fan.

So, hardware problems. I need help!
I've assembled my first VESC after repairing my old one, that refuses to come back to life. After assembly my new VESC, I cannot have a successful motor detection.

I've tried checking every component for cold joints, checking the wire connections for cold joints and checking there is no bridging between pins in all ICs.

I've tested with a 192kv motor on a PC PSU, same motor with a 12s battery + CAP board, Hard Drive motor on a PC PSU and in all of the I get the same results - failed motor detection, both on BLDC and FOC (FOC fails on lambda). My 192Kv motor jitters on the first stage and roles slowly on the second stage of motor detection. The Hard Drive motor just jitters and spin's erratically slow on both stages. Both motors do basically the same, the 192kv on the second stage does not sound happy and if I change Min ERPM to any value that's not 300 it does not spin.

Configuration for the HD motor:

Realtime data troughout the detection:

First stage of motor detection, at start

First stage of motor detection, during detection

Second stage of motor detection, during detection

I need help to figure out what I did wrong. I have an Engineering background, with a bit of electronics.

Please send help! :o

artteth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Assembled my VESC and need help with motor detection

Postby artteth » 01 Aug 2017, 05:13

current on the photo is too low (try 6 amps)
but first tap read default config and then connect vesc to 18-25v power source and then try all auto detect functions with default settings

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 01 Aug 2017, 06:59

Hey artteth, thanks for your reply.

The current shown was the one I used for the HD motor, which is rated for 1A. Going beyond that may damage it.

On the 192kv motor I when from 3 to 6 amps, with min erpm from 300 to 900 in 10 increments. I did it on default settings as you suggested. The results where basically the same, only scarier louder and with current faults. That's why I switched to the hard drive motor...its lower power...with the same issue.

Will it help to see the same photos for higher currents? I can even make a video of it.

I screwed something up...but I don't know what.

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 01 Aug 2017, 12:02

I made the same test (motor detection) with the 192kv motor.

This time with a video:

Configuration for the 192kv motor:

Realtime data of the test:

Start of first stage:
...without filtering:

During first stage:

Start of second stage:

During second stage:

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 02 Aug 2017, 19:25

From what I see, the vESC seems to be regulating voltage and current within expected values. The 3 phases seem to be behaving well in relation to each other.

The only odd thing I see is the frequency rising to keep up with motor rotation, "giving up" and falling back to lower "start up" frequency.

But why this is, I have no clue. Any one knows where I should look?

I know how to code, solder, use a multimeter...I just don't have an osciloscope in hand...yet. I also know a bit of electronics.

Help, please.

artteth

Postby artteth » 03 Aug 2017, 00:21

try on 18-25volt and set 6 amps in bldc autodetect(on video)(all rest settings default)
if will not work try 8 amps then 12 amps (all on video)

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 03 Aug 2017, 11:49

OK, I'll try that.

What's your thinking? Not enough juice to make the motor spin the way the detection procedure wants?

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 04 Aug 2017, 11:00

I don't have a lab bench power supply that can deliver that much current at that voltage.

The next best power source I have are LiPo cells. Against my best judgement, I connected the vESC to the 12s battery pack, that was delivering around 45v. I redid the tests as 3A, 6A, 9A and 12A. All had about the same results, with no faults.

My phone ran out of battery at some point during filming, but the results where the same.

Can I have some ideas from the community other than just adding more power to a broken system? I really don't what to start getting DRV faults.

Thanks

joaolino

Postby joaolino » 13 Aug 2017, 08:23

Hello?

artteth

Postby artteth » 13 Aug 2017, 15:34

Return to “Hardware Problems”