Smoking D5 Diode

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
LaVey

Smoking D5 Diode

Postby LaVey » 12 Mar 2016, 14:00

Hello,

I have a problem with two 4.8 VESCs. Both of them were succesfully programmed using Mr Vedders Tutorial and they also connect to the BLDC Tool, tested on Linux and Windows, but they don't detect or run any motors.
The diode D5 and capacitor C18 smoke/get very hot when connected to a power source. The blue and green LEDs flash and the red one is blinking (btw could someone please tell me what they are indicating?).
Has anyone had similar problems and knows what the failure is and how to fix it?
I have read about problems with the groundpad soldering of the DVR, is there a way to check if it is soldered correctly? I bought it preassembled by a pcb company in Bulgaria so it should be fine acutally.
If someone might know a solution and is willed to try it and share it with me, I would send him one of this VESCs for free.

rmrf

Re: Smoking D5 Diode

Postby rmrf » 02 May 2016, 07:16

My VESC is also unable to detect and D5 also smoked a little bit viewtopic.php?f=7&t=195
I will try to gather some more information when I get to the lab

rew

Re: Smoking D5 Diode

Postby rew » 02 May 2016, 14:28

D5 is the protection diode that prevents the 5V signal from going MUCH over 5V. So if D5 was not there, everything would have been broken by too high voltage on the 5V line. (the 3.3V regulator would blow, giving too much on 3.3V which in turn would blow the STM and the maybe the DRV too...).

Did you solder the GROUND pad of the DRV correctly? The DRV will provide a much too high output voltage if its GROUND signal is not connected. The GROUND of the DRV is the big pad on the bottom of the chip.

Return to “Hardware Problems”