Heavy motor vibrations in ebike hub motor

Report your hardware problems here. Include as many details as possible with pictures to get the best possible help and feedback.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
eburrows
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Heavy motor vibrations in ebike hub motor

Postby eburrows » 27 Sep 2018, 18:50

Hi All,
I'm having an issue with my home-built e-bike with a 4.12 VESC: At speeds greater than about walking speed, I feel heavy vibrations from the motor, and angry sounds. It almost feels like one out of the three phases is reversed. (Yes, I know that's impossible, that's just how it feels through the handlebars) Also power to the wheel is much less than factory motor controller that came with the motor before it died.

Here's my hardware breakdown:
VESC 4.10
Firmware version: 3.40
VESC Tool version: 0.95
FOC mode with Hall sensors
Using twist-throttle connected to ADC0
App and motor configuration files attached

36v Li-Ion battery pack
Un-branded hub-motor
()

I had to replace the Hall sensors in the hub motor, and used PN# Yosoo A3144. Checking voltage on the sense pin after installation shows them working properly. The sensors sit in slots milled into the stator laminations, so it's unlikely they are out of phase alignment.

The FOC and Hall sensors are direct from auto-detection. It did not pass BLDC auto-detection at all.

I have played with the Hybrid mode ERPM, but the problem exists whether I set very low, or very high values.

I'd appreciate any advice, and will happily gather additional debug info.

Thanks!
Attachments
config.zip
app and motor config XML files
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

eburrows

Re: Heavy motor vibrations in ebike hub motor

Postby eburrows » 28 Sep 2018, 23:41

One other note: I see this vibration only under load. When free-spinning in air, there's no evidence of vibration or odd noises.

pf26

Re: Heavy motor vibrations in ebike hub motor

Postby pf26 » 01 Oct 2018, 16:39

Did you remove the filters (capacitors) at the hall input pins ? This would definitely alter the hall signals above a certain frequency/speed.
Did you give it a try in sensorless mode ? Does it fell better once properly configured ?

Return to “Hardware Problems”