VESC not allowing feathered braking when going downhill slowly

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
hohungyi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VESC not allowing feathered braking when going downhill slowly

Postby hohungyi » 03 Jun 2017, 12:42

Hi, was wondering if anybody else has the same issue as below which I'm experiencing, where my VESC goes into a full braking mode and does not allow for modulation of the braking force when i'm going downhill slowly. Normally at speed, my VESC works perfectly fine when braking, i.e. there is modulation of the braking force.

However, I have found that this is not the case when i'm trying to go slow downhill, and when I apply a brake force until it hits maximum, I will not be able to modulate the braking anymore and the brake force remains at maximum. It is only when I release the trigger close to neutral when the VESC totally lets go and starts to coast downhill.

This is quite concerning as sometimes when you are trying to navigate traffic going downhill, not having the ability to modulate braking and speed becomes a little concerning.

I have tried to make the following adjustments in BLDC Tool but nothing seems to solve the problem:

1. Varying motor and battery current limits and absolute max settings
2. Bringing max ERPM at full brake down to 0 (not recommended but had to try)
3. Varying PPM pulsewidth limits

Would anybody be able to point me in another direction to investigate how I'm able to continue modulating the braking after getting to max brake? Any advise would be appreciated. I'm not sure if it is a voltage issue or the fact that my motor is sensorless, it does not look like either of these could be the cause, but I could be wrong.

I've posted a image file of the realtime capture of data from the VESC on a flat ground going into full brake and releasing pulsewidth into neutral. The jump from full brake to no brake is seen in the circled portion.

My battery/motor setup is as below:

Motor: 5065 Sensorless 190kv
Battery Setup: 9S2P Li-ion

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 5.44.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 5.44.12 PM.png (160.73 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

pf26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: VESC not allowing feathered braking when going downhill slowly

Postby pf26 » 03 Jun 2017, 16:48

hohungyi

Postby hohungyi » 05 Jun 2017, 05:54

Hi!

My apologies for not mentioning this in the original post, but I'm running the VESC in BLDC mode instead of FOC.

Incidentally, I applied FOC mode to the VESC and found that there was braking modulation across the entire braking pulsewidth, so I don't think it has to do with the fact the motor is sensorless.

Would you advise to make the changes you mentioned to the codes for BLDC mode instead of FOC?

I've attached some screenshots of my BLDC tool settings, if that helps.

Thanks for the advice!

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.34.31 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.34.31 PM.jpg (685.79 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.35.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.35.18 PM.jpg (802.46 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.35.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.35.30 PM.jpg (547.31 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

rew

Postby rew » 05 Jun 2017, 07:42

hohungyi

Postby hohungyi » 05 Jun 2017, 08:13

Would these tricks be the same in the case of braking as well? I understand the methods of motor positioning in BLDC and FOC, but can't figure out why in BLDC sensorless mode the start up is relatively smooth, but braking at low RPM induces an automatic full brake.

I've also gone out to grab a sensored 5065 and replaced it on my board, put it up into sensored BLDC mode and the braking at low RPM is still all-or-nothing.

Very weird...

pf26

Postby pf26 » 05 Jun 2017, 09:40

The code mod I proposed only applys to FOC mode.
For bldc mode, maybe you want to try and change the parameter named "max_ERPM_at_full_brake_in_control_mode" ?
Most likely you can't lower it too much, otherwise the position estimator may lose track..
To see how this is implemented, you can refer to the function "void mcpwm_set_brake_current(float current)" in mcpwm.c.

rew

Postby rew » 05 Jun 2017, 12:12

hohungyi

Postby hohungyi » 05 Jun 2017, 12:52

hohungyi

Postby hohungyi » 05 Jun 2017, 12:54

pf26

Postby pf26 » 06 Jun 2017, 09:03

Return to “General”