Newbie - what are the advantages of VESC for an electric scooter

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
linsus

Re: Newbie - what are the advantages of VESC for an electric scooter

Postby linsus » 17 May 2017, 15:53

All or nothing, sounds dangerous!

I guess tying one digital input to full break(panic break) and one to (full break)/2 would give you two intervalls of breaking.
In terms of making a fully progressive break with 2 digital inputs you'd prob. have to do some software magic.

The scenarios of breaking for me is very diffrent from one to another. Simply defining at which rate to break by flicking the switch(non panic one) would feel very insufficient in more scenarios then it would be helpful I think. You would have to define the maximum breaking distance over X amount of speed to determine a rough estimation of how hard you want to break per value of distance. And probably have to live with that static setting. Dont see how you would do a simple implementation of progressive breaking, with diffrent breaking strengths, with just one or two digital inputs. Best I can come up with is one brake rate per lever and pushing them at the same time would add lever1+lever2 value to a 3d break intensity.

Maybe I've interpeted your intentions wrong, but thats how I see it

linsus

Postby linsus » 17 May 2017, 16:03

Unless you want to make the push down on the lever time dependant somehow. Longer pushdown = increasing intensity of break with some refrence values in some neat calculation, could actually work quite well.

gderou

Postby gderou » 17 May 2017, 16:18

I do have 2 regular brakes (mechanical disk brakes). Additionally, the regen brake is tied to the switch in the levers (they are so far merged, so if I press slightly any lever, the regen brake is fully triggered, but the mechanical brake are not yet activated).

I would like to get rid of the «all or nothing» feel of the regen brake, thus I would like the firmware to activate it progressively (but fast enough so that it brakes).

The second lever could be for a different setting, and both levers at the same time for an emergency brake (max brake, not progressive).

So yes, that requires «software magic» but that is exactly what I expect from an intelligent controller.

linsus

Postby linsus » 17 May 2017, 16:40

Ah! That makes more sense :D

By software magic, I ment you might have to write some code if you want a function that isn't implemented as you intend.
You have alot of potential to make it better then an on/off either way!

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 17 May 2017, 17:44

gderou wrote:I do have 2 regular brakes (mechanical disk brakes). Additionally, the regen brake is tied to the switch in the levers (they are so far merged, so if I press slightly any lever, the regen brake is fully triggered, but the mechanical brake are not yet activated).

I would like to get rid of the «all or nothing» feel of the regen brake, thus I would like the firmware to activate it progressively (but fast enough so that it brakes).

The second lever could be for a different setting, and both levers at the same time for an emergency brake (max brake, not progressive).

So yes, that requires «software magic» but that is exactly what I expect from an intelligent controller.

My ebike actually has switches in the brake levers in the same way, so I'm using a mode where holding a brake lever slightly turns the throttle into a brake so that the throttle can be used to control the braking force. That is a bit impractical at times, so I'm thinking of implementing a mode that simply ramps up the braking force when a switch is activated and ramps it down when releasing the switch.

gderou

Postby gderou » 17 May 2017, 18:55

That would be very similar (if not identical) to what I would like… I need to get a VESC first though ;-)

Return to “General”