why the topic “VESC 5” is gone?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
michael_zh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

why the topic “VESC 5” is gone?

Postby michael_zh » 10 May 2017, 03:44

Hi Benjamin,
great piece of work!!!

I focus on this project for a long time,i have left for a while during the period,did not see the information about order VESC 6 BETA,
i remember there a topic about “VESC 5”,there are a lot of information about High Power VESC ,can it be recovered ?

thanks a lot!

rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: why the topic “VESC 5” is gone?

Postby rew » 10 May 2017, 06:34

I volunteered to help with removing spam from the forum. Benjamin made me "moderator".
Then.... one day there where something like five spam topics, I selected the ones to remove, and hit delete.

The logs say I deleted the VESC5 topic too. :-(
I don't know how it happened, but I'll double check next time.

(There is an option in the forum software to "not permanently" delete a topic. In that case it could be resurrected in case of such a mistake. Well... that option is kind of useless, because for the moderator the topic then remains visible and clutters the topic. So that's why I didn't use that option...)

Benjamin noticed, and said he was going to look for a database backup to try to resurrect the topic. I"m guessing he's found the backup, but is now faced with "raw database contents, how to resurrect that one topic without messing up the whole forum?"....

michael_zh

Postby michael_zh » 10 May 2017, 15:31

i am looking forward to good news!
thanks a lot

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 10 May 2017, 18:35

Sad story. I would also like to see the VESC 5.0 thread again. There was a lot of good information collected. But mishaps happen.
It is just crazy how often spam threads are created on this forum. Just saw around seven spam threads on todays morning.
So thank you for helping Benjamin with deleting that trash. :)

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 10 May 2017, 19:30

I'm surprised by the amount of spam as well, and rew has done a good job deleting it. A small mistake happens easily. I usually delete spam by banning the users by email and then deleting their account while deleting all their posts, then I don't have to check the threads individually. The spam threads from this morning came from the same user.

What also surprises me is that, as far as I know, the login question is not too easy on this forum, so either they have good algorithms or there are actually people employed to register on different forums and spread advertisement spam.

Regarding the VESC5 thread, my latest backup only had a few posts in it because I haven't made too many backups since it is quite a bother to log in to one.com, look for phpmyadmin, log in there and click a lot of things to export a file. At least I made another backup after that. As rew explained, I was also a bit afraid to mess up while extracting that post from the database and insert it into the current database.

The VESC-project site is hosted in a virtual machine on my server in my basement, so when it is finished it will be easier to maintain it and manage backups. Setting up a script that backs up the site and database every day was no problem at all since I have everything locally. That backup is made to a different disk, which I rsync to yet another external disk that I connect on a regular basis. Two days ago I was digging up my lawn for the new fibre internet connection that is about to be installed, so the speed and stability should be enough hopefully.

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 10 May 2017, 20:17

I found the website and it looks like there is at least a little bit from the VESC 5.0 thread available. Maybe that is helpful for someone.

rew

Postby rew » 11 May 2017, 06:39

michael_zh

Postby michael_zh » 12 May 2017, 07:55

michael_zh

Postby michael_zh » 12 May 2017, 07:58

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 12 May 2017, 10:40

No, sadly not. You can just have a look to the first page from that thread when you use the snapshot from the 7/7/2016 and the 20th page when you use for an example the snapshot from 10/30/2016. So not much, but more than nothing.

Return to “General”