Measuring pole count in BLDC tool [probably solved]

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
rew

Re: Measuring pole count in BLDC tool [probably solved]

Postby rew » 11 May 2017, 06:44

benjamin wrote:I'm thinking of implementing a "pole pair counting" terminal command as well, which simply feeds the motor with a constant current vector. Then you can turn the motor by hand and see at how many distinct positions it gets stuck per revolution.
How about then allowing that current vector to rotate a given number of revolutions? Then you can say "ccvector 2 46", asking for a constant current vector of 2A and rotate it for 46 Electrical revolutions at the default speed.
Hexacopter's motor should then stop in the same position every time you reissue that command....

e-biker

Postby e-biker » 11 May 2017, 08:31

@hexakopter. Yes it is V2 MXUS, and main difference between V2 and V3 is stator material. V3 stator is made from aliuminium and winding plates is thiner for improved efficiency.

@rew. It'a good idea and should make determinating pole count a lot easier. But what I'm mising for a long time it's an option in vesc tool to enter your engines pole count and then vesc tool returns not erpm but actual engine rpm. Maybe bouth of parameters could be displayed in vesc tool.

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 11 May 2017, 19:58

rew wrote:
benjamin wrote:I'm thinking of implementing a "pole pair counting" terminal command as well, which simply feeds the motor with a constant current vector. Then you can turn the motor by hand and see at how many distinct positions it gets stuck per revolution.
How about then allowing that current vector to rotate a given number of revolutions? Then you can say "ccvector 2 46", asking for a constant current vector of 2A and rotate it for 46 Electrical revolutions at the default speed.
Hexacopter's motor should then stop in the same position every time you reissue that command....

That's a good idea, and easy to add.

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 11 May 2017, 20:02

e-biker wrote:@rew. It'a good idea and should make determinating pole count a lot easier. But what I'm mising for a long time it's an option in vesc tool to enter your engines pole count and then vesc tool returns not erpm but actual engine rpm. Maybe bouth of parameters could be displayed in vesc tool.

The latest version of VESC Tool has a box for that, and some other boxes for entering information about the motor. The idea is to implement some calculators to plot graphs with efficiency, torque, losses etc. and compare different motors that way. A future plan of this is to collect information about motors in a database together with meta data such as bearing quality etc. so that finding the right motor for an application becomes easier.

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 11 May 2017, 20:15

benjamin wrote:That's a good idea, and easy to add.

Thats great to hear and I find this idea also very helpful. There are a lot of motors out there, where you can count the poles/magnets from the outside, but also other motors where that isn't so easy and disassemble some motors is a pain. So a great feature to have.

e-biker

Postby e-biker » 12 May 2017, 11:42

The latest version of VESC Tool has a box for that, and some other boxes for entering information about the motor. The idea is to implement some calculators to plot graphs with efficiency, torque, losses etc. and compare different motors that way. A future plan of this is to collect information about motors in a database together with meta data such as bearing quality etc. so that finding the right motor for an application becomes easier.

This will be really usefull, especially then pushing the motor to the limits and wathcing how it behaves or responds to setup changes. By the way later all collected data can be compared with data from here: http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

Benjamin you said that there will be VESC Tool version for windows platform. Will it be possible to access precombiled files for eclipse or some other platform on windows? For now I'm using linux default software to change voltage, current and some other values.

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 14 May 2017, 13:16

e-biker wrote:Benjamin you said that there will be VESC Tool version for windows platform. Will it be possible to access precombiled files for eclipse or some other platform on windows? For now I'm using linux default software to change voltage, current and some other values.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but in general there will be very little development support for windows as I don't have any windows computer and never plan to get one. The only reason that VESC Tool will be available for windows is that I have figured out how to cross-compile it from linux.

e-biker

Postby e-biker » 15 May 2017, 07:53

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but in general there will be very little development support for windows as I don't have any windows computer and never plan to get one. The only reason that VESC Tool will be available for windows is that I have figured out how to cross-compile it from linux.

What I mean is that I'm usinig a higher voltage (100V) and a lot higher currents (up to 350 amps) so I can't use a precompiled BLDC Tool for windows as it won't let me to set these values so high. I've searched for a vile how to precompile BLDC Tool (VESC Tool from now on) from linux to suport windwos platform. Will it be possible to make a tutorial how to precompile it from linux?

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 15 May 2017, 09:12

e-biker wrote:What I mean is that I'm usinig a higher voltage (100V) and a lot higher currents (up to 350 amps) so I can't use a precompiled BLDC Tool for windows as it won't let me to set these values so high. I've searched for a vile how to precompile BLDC Tool (VESC Tool from now on) from linux to suport windwos platform. Will it be possible to make a tutorial how to precompile it from linux?

Ah :-)
That should not be a problem with VESC Tool. You can set all parameters to any value and then the hardware is responsible truncating them if necessary. On every write of parameters, VESC Tool will read them back and show a dialog with parameters that were truncated if any parameters were.

This means that you have to set the limits in the hardware configuration file for your hardware. For example, the VESC6 has this line in the file hw_60.h

Code: Select all

#define HW_LIM_VIN            6.0, 57.0

Which states that the input voltage limit must be set within the range 6 V to 57 V.

My long term goal is to make it possible to create a big variety of VESC-compatible hardware for all kinds of motors, so I'm trying to incorporate this all over the structure of the software.

e-biker

Postby e-biker » 15 May 2017, 10:35

Nice. :) Thank's for quick answer and good explanation. All whats left is to vait for final release of VESC Tool.

Return to “General”