14S VESC ?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
notger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 14S VESC ?

Postby notger » 16 May 2016, 17:27

Hi,

actually a big hi to all the readers here, i just joines this community comming from the e-bike scene.
I really love teh flexibility and open sourceness of teh VESC (probably you can read that i'm not native english speaking) I'm from Austria (no, we do not have Kangoroos there).

I'm always quite stubborn with electrical, or physical "restictions", like the 12s 60Volts of teh VESC, and so i destroid quite some biek parts or controllers in my life until now.

So my Ebike setups are all based on 15s (18650) so around 64 Volts fully charged.
OK, some will say now "we just clarified that even 14s are not working an now you'd like to ask us about 15s"
Exactly, thats what i do, so in my setup i might have on littel advantage, that i do not use Recupation cause of my mid-drive setup.
So i would not have to deal with that kind of voltage spikes.

But i guess like In Endless-Sphere Forum some of you are crazy electronic-freaks, so i do not believe that the difference of 4 Volts to the Recommended 60 VOlt maximum and my 64 Volt Fully charge are impossible to solve.

To be hones I'm a mechanic, and not an electronic-person, but i do quite some soldering and have basic electronic knowledge.

In my primitive Electronic understanding I would just have to change some capacitators, and teh MOSFETS into higher rated ones (maybe 70-80 Volts),
ask someone of you if he/she could write a firmware wich opens up the maximum-voltage to ~70Volts.
And i and qoite some other ebike freaks an probably also e-board freaks will be happy.

And now please tell me that the solution is that simple, or tell me your understanding of it and how i could realize a 15s VESC?

Thanks in advance

Notger

rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rew » 17 May 2016, 19:44

If you're willing to test my implementation, I think I can get you a VESC compatible setup that runs up to 80V or so. You'll have to solder a few caps yourself. You pay "about the cost of the components". I'm not making any money, but you're motivated to try and make it work. OK?

Hummie

Postby Hummie » 27 May 2016, 22:44

I'll do it!
I don't know if it would be ok for me though as I need the braking and would prefer the regen.

80kv motors.
I'd be happy with 14s or even 13s. I use 12s on FOC now

Is the high voltage an issue with the battery and similar to voltage sag where a big pack will solve it?

rew

Postby rew » 28 May 2016, 06:58

Why do you guys want the > 12S setup? To get more power?

notger

Postby notger » 28 May 2016, 13:39

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 28 May 2016, 19:06

rew

Postby rew » 28 May 2016, 21:44

Hummie

Postby Hummie » 29 May 2016, 01:04

Fascinating.
For me on 80,90,100kv skateboard motors and 12s on FOC things run fantastic and I've never had an issue with heat and I've measured the temp at the center of the stator, which is aluminum, at 220f.

What is the ideal rpm in relation to the no-load? Given the same motor winding, with a large load, it would seem you'd want lower voltage if you're trying to stay at a high percent of the no-load.

Terrain varies..sometimes a steep hill and sometimes I want to go as fast as possible.

I think it gets confusing because of the simple volts times amps equals power equation. You can't assume more voltage into the motor is going to give more power in fact from a standstill position wouldn't it equate to possibly less efficiency if it's increasing the no-load speed too high?

The vesc runs more efficiently on higher voltage though right? I don't know what happens in the vesc or any esc, are volts converted to amps!!? That would change whatever it is I thought I knew

But what about the nodger who said he uses less amps and has less heat when running higher voltage?

scienceworks

Postby scienceworks » 29 May 2016, 02:31

from what i understand brushless motorcontrollers (hobby esc, ebike controller, variable frequency drive) basically work like a switching powersupply, with the motorwindings being the inductivity, and the caps are, well, the caps.

the power=voltage*current works from the battery up to the caps, thats where higher voltage and lower amps makes sense, you have less loss in the cables.

but after that it gets complicated. there is energy oscillating between the caps and the inductivity of the motor and all kinds of black switching magic going on, which means you cant use those simple equations anymore.

scienceworks

Postby scienceworks » 29 May 2016, 02:35

from what i understand brushless motorcontrollers (hobby esc, ebike controller, variable frequency drive) basically work like a switching powersupply, with the motorwindings being the inductivity, and the caps are, well, the caps.

the power=voltage*current works from the battery up to the caps, thats where higher voltage and lower amps makes sense, you have less loss in the cables.

but after that it gets complicated. there is energy oscillating between the caps and the inductivity of the motor and all kinds of black switching magic going on, which means you cant use those simple equations anymore.

Return to “General”