VESC 5V Noise? [SOLVED]

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pedrodemio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VESC 5V Noise? [SOLVED]

Postby Pedrodemio » 02 Jan 2016, 19:45

Hello Vedder,

I've received my VESC today, everything was working great until i tried to put it on the board and connect to my arduino based NRF radio reciever

After lots of troubleshooting, this i whats i found

- if i power the Arduíno and NRF module from the 5v on the ppm out the radio connection drops
- if i only connect the ground and ppm wires and feed the Arduíno from USB power everything works fine

So my toughs is that some noise is getting to the NRF module, but since i don't have a oscilloscope my hands are tied

Things i tried:

-Ceramic and polyester capacitors
-Ferrite ring
-Getting everything away from VESC

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by Pedrodemio on 03 Jan 2016, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

arvidb

Re: VESC 5V Noise?

Postby arvidb » 02 Jan 2016, 22:23

How much current does your Arduino and NRF module draw? The VESC can only supply 1.5 A in total, and I believe this power budget must be shared with the VESC's main microcontroller as well.

Pedrodemio

Postby Pedrodemio » 02 Jan 2016, 23:15

Just measured, 68mA

arvidb

Postby arvidb » 03 Jan 2016, 00:32

That's not the problem then. :)

Have you tested to power the Arduino and NRF module with a separate power supply but through the same connector as you use when you power them with the VESC?

Have you measured the voltage on the VESC 5 V output (using a multimeter)?

Pedrodemio

Postby Pedrodemio » 03 Jan 2016, 00:41

Yes for both

Before VESC i was using the exactly same setup with a cheap Hobbyking boat ESC, and it worked perfectly, and the 5v line is at 5.1V if i i'm not mistaken

i'm reading a bit on the NRF module and trying to find a way to access what exactly happen when i connect the 5v line

Pedrodemio

Postby Pedrodemio » 03 Jan 2016, 19:54

Problem solved

Just added a low pass RC filter on the 5 V line, i am cutting in 70 Hz because of the components i had available, but if anyone with a oscilloscope could measure the 5 V out we could make the approach more scientific

Return to “General”