Suitability for ebike?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dascons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Suitability for ebike?

Postby dascons » 01 Jan 2016, 18:05

The reason I like the idea of using this esc in an ebike is because of the smooth start with sensorless motors. I am wondering weather it would be a good esc to use in place of a hobby grade one or a cheap normal ebike one. Another thing I am wondering about is what the max continuous current it can support with fet cooling (fan and little alloy heatsinks)

nabilahmad

Re: Suitability for ebike?

Postby nabilahmad » 03 Jan 2016, 19:02

It should operate an ebike motor just fine.. but you bring up a point that I'm concerned of as well - continuous output. It is all too common - especially with RC motor controllers, to simply quote the power rating of a finished device based on the spec of the power components - the FETs. You'll note there are some serious caveats to the power that any FET can actually carry. Most notably is heat dissipation. And that's where engineering trade offs come to the fore. Benjamin has done some great work putting this controller together and cudos are well in order.

He optimized this device for optimal packaging. The board is densely populated and the input capacitor doesn't even fit - its soldered on dead-bug style. This is to reduce the overall size of the final device. But in it all, thermal management has been demoted and marginalized. Its all trade-offs. Not a criticizm, but an optimization that does not bode well for continuous duty.

I do also have intent to operate these controllers on e-bikes and similarly sized vehicles. I've ordered one to muck with with current design, but expect some significant changes before running kw or greater beyond milliseconds.

joe90

Postby joe90 » 03 Jan 2016, 21:42

I was able to run 1kw each on 45V for long period of time (1 minute)
The esc is simply ventilated in an enclosure, no heat sink.
Peak were about 2500w each with no problems.
2 parallel VESC are enough for a ebike in my opinion.
Michel Cote
Twin v4.7 + SK3 6374 149KV
Bicycle
2500W peak/unit on 12S

mutenroy7

Postby mutenroy7 » 06 Feb 2016, 18:40

What? i thought any 6S ESC could power up 250W or 500W motor ,so the VESC
can power it up , hell yeah!

Return to “General”