ebike thumb or twist throttle and break servo ?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
notger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ebike thumb or twist throttle and break servo ?

Postby notger » 09 Jun 2016, 05:39

Hi,

I do not use or have a Vesc right now, but id like to clarify some ideas whats possible with it.
My VESCS are still in production line (enertion), so that can take a while.

My question is is it simply possible to connect a wired thumb throttle (hall sensor based, works like a potentiometer 0-5 Volts).
And:
Can also send a linear rising Break signal also via another hall sensor breaklever to the vesc,
The VESC should one one hand use the regenerative breaking then, and also send a RC-servo Signal (digital) to a break servo wich is connected to a hydraulic magura hs11 break ?

thanks in advance

Gernot

Shack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ebike thumb or twist throttle and break servo ?

Postby Shack » 09 Jun 2016, 07:38

you would have to use a voltage divider on the 0-5V to make it 0-3.3V
you can find premade apps for the analog throttle and braking, the Servo out shouldnt be hard at all to add on since Benjamin already prepared for it :)

have a look at: http://vedder.se/2015/08/vesc-writing-c ... lications/

rew

Postby rew » 09 Jun 2016, 07:50

I have the resistor divider footprint on my board now.... I HAVE the voltage divider externally on my bike.

It would be a good idea to check if your throttle can or cannot work on 3.3V. If it works at 3.3V too, then that would of course be easiest....

notger

Postby notger » 09 Jun 2016, 08:04

notger

Postby notger » 09 Jun 2016, 08:37

Shack

Postby Shack » 09 Jun 2016, 09:01

notger

Postby notger » 09 Jun 2016, 17:25

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 09 Jun 2016, 18:04

The 5 or so hall effect twist and thumb throttles I have tried work fin on 3.3V as well, so you can just connect them to the 3.3v source and use the ADC app right away. There is also support in the app to use one throttle for acceleration and one for braking on another ADC input, but this is using the motor as a regenerative brake. Brake servo support is not implemented, but as mentioned you could make an app for it. I don't think it is common to use a servo for braking as you don't have the advantage of regenerative braking and the disadvantage of more things that can fail in your braking system. I would recommend a pure mechanical brake instead of using a serve.

What I'm using on my ebike is mechanical brake levers with switches in them, and only one thumb throttle. When moving the brake lever a little bit the mechanical brake does not activate, but the switch does, so then the thumb throttle turns into a proportional regenerative brake for the motor. This is enough in the general case, gives extra range and does not wear out the brake pads, but if I need to brake hard I just press the brake lever harder and use the mechanical brake. Getting used to this braking system was quite easy, it is supported in the ADC app, and there are many mechanical brake levers with switches available.

notger

Postby notger » 09 Jun 2016, 18:18

scienceworks

Postby scienceworks » 09 Jun 2016, 19:24

you want to use a servo to control the mechanical breaks? that sounds dangerous!

what if the servo goes funky and locks up the breaks?

i played around with using the breaklever as an analog signal on my bike with v breaks. i adjusted the breaks so that there are a few milimeters of travel before the breakpads actually engage, and used a hall sensor and a small magnet to measure the leaver engagement. it works quite nice, i have way more dexterity in my "breaking" fingers than in my thumb.

Return to “General”