ODrive: 2 axis motor controller for robotics

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
madcowswe

ODrive: 2 axis motor controller for robotics

Postby madcowswe » 25 May 2016, 15:08

I have been collaborating a bit with Ben for a while now on some of the FOC stuff, and I think it is about time I also shared with the rest of this community what I've been working on.
My project, , is a high power 2-axis motor controller, with some robotics specific features like motion profiles, and simultaneous connection to a li-po battery and a power supply. Most of the specs and details are listed at the .
ODrive is completely open source, and I invite anyone who is interested to contribute and create derivative works.

The state of the project is currently: I am checking that the v3 board is working properly. Then I will try to do a small production batch to send out to anyone who is interested in development or alpha testing.

Check out that speed (:

Cheers,
Oskar

rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ODrive: 2 axis motor controller for robotics

Postby rew » 25 May 2016, 18:22

It's not fair to make people think it's real-time but in reality posting a timelapse! :D

Whow!!!!

jaroslavnovotny
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jaroslavnovotny » 25 May 2016, 19:19

I would be very interested in this, but I would like to drive smaller motors (200-300W) at 15A max. Application would be locomotion of a robot chassis. I very like the $50 price you aim at, what would be the price of the v3 prototype?

rew

Postby rew » 26 May 2016, 06:59

The expensive components are the CPU $10, The DRV chips $7 and the FETs. For fets you can go from about $0.7 (PSMN5R8-40) to about $3 (IRFS7530). For $3 you get the ones that VESC uses: 50A continuous, 60V theoretical, 50V in practise. You need 6 fets per motor.

You're not winning much by using smaller fets.

The software, I expect will be able to handle smaller motors, just like now. It may take a bit of tuning if you're using a smaller motor than what the system is currently tuned for.

jaroslavnovotny

Postby jaroslavnovotny » 26 May 2016, 08:20

Now I use 2x vecs 4.7 with 5mOhm shunts connected through CAN. So to be able to drive 2 motors with 1 MCU would be awesome and the cost would be also less.

madcowswe

Postby madcowswe » 26 May 2016, 08:45

Prevas_erra

Postby Prevas_erra » 26 May 2016, 10:21

Hi

Is the firmware based on VESC or can be made to run like a custom application in VESC?
I see that you have an FPGA based design also, is it working too or abandoned?

madcowswe

Postby madcowswe » 26 May 2016, 10:26

jaroslavnovotny

Postby jaroslavnovotny » 29 May 2016, 19:30

@madcowswe

Do you have a rough estimate when would be the prototypes ready to ship? Also can you give the board dimensions (didn't find them on hackwana or github)? I can start making a motorized chassis for the board soon:)

madcowswe

Postby madcowswe » 29 May 2016, 19:36

Return to “General”