A lot of questions

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
hexakopter

A lot of questions

Postby hexakopter » 26 Dec 2015, 10:36

Hey Benjamin and the rest of this new forum,

first of all I must say Benjamin a big thanks for his great work on the VESC and its related parts. Amazing what great ESC you did and still working on it to make it even better. Also great to have a own forum, because the informations are widespread on many places.
I have a lot of questions in mind regarding the VESC and also its related parts like the Anti-Spark-Switch, Nunchuk, etc.
An idea to the VESC related parts. Do you think it is an good idea to make an own entry in the "board index" for these related parts? Maybe the one or other question I post here should have its own thread.

1. I this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8f0xg7DNmM you use ws2812 LEDs to have brakes and blinkers for your longboard. I see on github also a special .bin file (VESC_ws2811.bin) for this application, but can't find more infos about hat in the net. When I understand you correct in the video you say it is connected to the hall sensor port, but would be great o have some more infos about that.
By the way there are also other .bin files like the servo out where I don't have an idea what that is for, maybe you can point that out.

2. Do you know if your LED code is also working for the newer WS2812B?

3. There is also the "VESC_encoder.bin" on github, but I can't find out what encoder is supported. Have some AMS AS5048 encoder here. Do you think it is possible to support this kind of magnetic encoder or what encoders do you have in mind?

4. I have found your nunchuk and anti-spark PCB on github and want to know if both are up to date, because on endless-sphere I found the info that there was some problem with the nunchuk design, so I am not sure if you already have fixed that. So do you recommend the usage of both designs over the http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/on-off-high-voltage-anti-spark-power-switch-2-14s/ and the Nyko Kama?

5. On this side http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-nunchuk-rf/588 I found the info about your nunchuk design, that "this pcb is designed specifically for the vesc so future developments will include an oled display, telemetry readout and other features".
Is that true?

6. Is the PCB done for this "case"? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/White-New-nunchuk-nunchuck-controller-remote-for-Nintendo-for-Wii-Silicone-Case/2051995636.html

7. I will order VESC PCBs the next days. Do you make any progress on this design? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63540&start=1175#p1104813 I think you where focused on FOC the last month, but when you think the design of the pedale board will work it would be great if I can put them on my PCB order. ;)

Hope I haven't forgot something important. :mrgreen:

Regards

benjamin
Site Admin

Re: A lot of questions

Postby benjamin » 28 Dec 2015, 02:14

Hi,

Thanks! I think the forum was a good idea too so far. Until now I have been answering questions in lots of emails, but this way others can help answer and also see similar questions.

1. I removed the filter from the hall sensor port (remove r11, r12, r13, c5, c6, c7 and replace r8, r9 and r10 with 0r) and connected the data pin of the LEDs directly to the HALL1 or HALL2 pin on the (which one can be configured in conf_general.h and the precompiled and default is HALL2). The output is set to open drain and a pullup to 5v is required on the data pin.

2. Yes, it works with ws2812b as well.

3. The encoders I have been using are incremental encoders (e.g. the AMT 102). For using them you need to remove the hall sensor filter as described in 1. as well. Adding support for SPI encoders such as the AS5040 is also possible, but I haven't done that yet.

4. They are up to date on github and I am using them myself.

5. Adding an oled display shouldn't be too difficult, but I need to ad a i2c port to the PCB first. Telemetry is also quite easy to implement. I don't know when I will have time for that though.

6. Yes, I think this is the same case.

7. I hope that I will have some time to work on the pedal boards in the next weeks. They mostly work, but I haven't tested them amplifiers for the strain gauges yet.

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 28 Dec 2015, 11:37

Hey Benjamin,

thanks for the answers.

1. Ok. Then the hardware changes are the point, why I havent seen an other person using the LEDs. :D

3. I think using SPI Encoders like the AS5048A would be great, because most people won't unsolder the little Rs and Cs by themselves.

5. In the BOM of the Nunchuk you are using the STM32F100C8T6B in the schematics there it says STM32F100C6. So the BOM is correct and you are using STM32F100C8T6B for the Nunchuk and also for the Pedal-Board?
So you will use PB6 and PB7 (Pins 42/43) for the oled display? Then I will maybe add them myself to the PCB.

7. So you are using the STM32F100C8T6B here, too? Would you share the KiCad files of the Pedal Board for me, so I can but them on my PCB order? When you don't want to push it on your github, because you haven't tested it completely (can understand that) I would be very happy if you can send me something per PN. ;)
Here something I have written in the endless sphere thread regarding the pedal:
Now I see that you also working on an pedal PCB and find the idea very interesting. It would be interesting to see a comparison to a normal PAS and what advantages you will have with your system. I looked shortly over your PCB and the first finding was that you will use an MPU9150. On the Invensense website i found the note: "NOTE: Not recommended for new designs". Maybe you will switch to the mpu9250 (also smaller package) or to an mpu6050 (6-axis don't see an advantage to use a mag, but cheaper and better available). The MPU6050 just works over I2C, but it looks like you are also using I2C and not SPI. (maybe SPI would also be a opportunity when using the mpu9250)

And also a new question I have forgot over the time. :lol:
Next thing is the VESC 60V limit. I think it is recommended to use an buffer so 12s (50,4V) is the highest voltage one can choose. Do you have plans to built a higher voltage version for ebike use? I think the best power results you will get is in the 80V range. Sad that the internal switching regulator of the DRV8301/8302 is limited to 60V. But that will also imply to not only found a solution to bring down the 80V to under 60V for the DRV, but also to find different high current FETs with a low RDSON.

Regards

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 28 Dec 2015, 12:10

It looks like I was tired yesterday when I look at the grammar in my previous reply :oops:

The idea with the encoder/hall port is to have an option for when the board is assembled, either with or without the filter. With the filter it works for hall sensors and without it it works for most other applications.

These are the kicad files for the pedal boards:
http://home.vedder.se/public/tmp/TT_pedal_board.zip

The stm32f100c6t6 and c8t6 are pin and mostly code compatible, but the c8 has twice as much flash and ram. The price does not differ much and having more ram helps in most applications. The MPU footprint works for both the 6050 and the 9150, so you can use either one. The reason that I haven't used the 9250 is that I already have a bunch of 9150s at home and code for using them.

I have considered making a higher power version of the ESC, but I currently don't have an application for it, so my motivation hasn't been that high. Maybe I will work on a new ebike next summer and make a new hardware design then.

hexakopter

Postby hexakopter » 28 Dec 2015, 21:13

I don't know if your grammar wasn't that bad yesterday. I am also no native english speaker, but I hope others will understand me. :roll:

Thank you very much for the KiCad files. Will use the MPU6050 then, because have some laying around here. Hope the VESC will revolutionize the eBike scene like it did with the eLongboard scene.

benjamin wrote:The idea with the encoder/hall port is to have an option for when the board is assembled, either with or without the filter. With the filter it works for hall sensors and without it it works for most other applications.

So when one solder his own VESC it is a good idea to let the Cs and Rs free, if not using hall sensors. They can be soldered later when getting a hall motor. Good to know.

Return to “General”