Vedder Antispark & Regenerating brake

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
okp

Vedder Antispark & Regenerating brake

Postby okp » 09 May 2016, 19:56

Hey folks,

A friend of mine using a vedder powerswitch/antispark rode without the board power on (the switch was off), and it seems that the switch failed and is now fail open. I am wondering if when riding with switch off and the fact that motor generates current, then the vesc regenerating brake which currents its back the powerswitch (off) on it's ON side (facing VESC) does not damage it or saturate it that make it fail and act now as fail open.

Hope I am clear enough !

Thanks

okp

Re: Vedder Antispark & Regenerating brake

Postby okp » 22 May 2016, 17:26

Hey, if anyone has a clue that would be awesome. I just got another vedder switch that is now fully fail open.

what could cause this?

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 23 May 2016, 07:24

Hi okp,

MOSFETs almost never fail open, so I don't think your power switches are broken. What is more likely is that your switch has some dirt/water in it so that it gets a slight connection to GND. To switch on there is a very high resistor to v+, so the slightest leakage current, even from just holding your fingers against the PCB, will make the switch stay open. Make sure that everything is clean and if that doesn't work, try replacing the three pin switch in case is has too much leakage current.

rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rew » 23 May 2016, 08:16

First of all, the configuration of the driving mosfets and the BLDC motor mean that you WILL charge the bus-voltage even if you don't want to.

Any active braking that then happens will just charge the capacitor instead of feeding back into the battery. This can harm the capacitor. But also an anti-spark will pass current back into the battery, but now at a voltage drop it wasn't designed for.

Return to “General”