OFF switch options

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TilmanBaumann
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

OFF switch options

Postby TilmanBaumann » 28 Mar 2018, 14:13

Dumb questions.

How reasonble is it to keep the VESC connected to the battery at all time?
What is the power consumption in standby? Anything I should be concerned about?

My ebike will have a lock on the head unit. There will be a microprocessor with CAN that will be able to send VESC apropriate commands.
That controller is intended to be 'always on'. If I can just keep the VESC on, I will feed it frrom VCC pin on VESC,
If not, I will give it it's own DC-DC converter.

Since the battery capacities we are talking about here are generally very large. Leakage is probably not a real concern.
That means, a simple can message to VESC to enable and disable the drive, would make sense. (Which messages are appropriate while APP_ADC is also running?)
Also I would in thise case like to make use of the handbrake mode in 'alarm' mode.

If all that is not advisable. Any tips on isolating VESC from batteries via electronics?
I have this antispark board here with a two way swtich. https://store7570530.ecwid.com/#!/Vedde ... croll=true
I think that design goes back to a Vedder design too.
Can I switch that via microcontroller? I haven't grokked the schematics yet.
Or rather, what would work?

pf26

Re: OFF switch options

Postby pf26 » 02 Apr 2018, 18:23

I think the MINI Vesc made by antonchromjak has a nice "enable" pin to remove most of its standby power consumption (which is quite heavy on the standard VESC, and from my point of view, not suitable even with large batteries)
Maybe the "MINI" is powerfull enough for your application. And hopefully it gets commercially available one day..

antonchromjak

Postby antonchromjak » 03 Apr 2018, 13:08

keep in mind that 39k+2k2 divider is still connected to power even in that mode

TilmanBaumann

Postby TilmanBaumann » 03 Apr 2018, 14:45

Mini won't quite be beefy enough. (in fact I'm looking very eagerly at higher voltage options as they are developing)

I think I found a very good solution. My BMS offers a 5V output. I can use that to keep auxilary stuff on-line.
Also the BMS can switch the loads on and off.
https://www.energusps.com/shop/product/ ... 0a-750a-36

Return to “General”