miniaturizing the VESC for smaller motor and less functionality

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
BlakeCarmichael

miniaturizing the VESC for smaller motor and less functionality

Postby BlakeCarmichael » 30 Oct 2017, 16:21

Hi all,

I am working on a project that utilizes a 300 W motor (may upgrade to ~400 W) and I have been using the VESC. I am using UART from an Arduino Mega to control the motor. I would like to detune the VESC such that it is cheaper and smaller than the current VESC. The BLDC tool and open-source nature of the VESC are what got me using the VESC in the first place. Also, I needed an ESC that could run my motor with large startup torques.

My specifications are not 100% solidified but are approximately the following:
    maximum continuous current draw: 15 A
    voltage range: 20-30 V (using 7s4p lithium-ion battery)
    features:
      BLDC tool
      Duty Cycle Control
      Current Control
      I do not need PPM, analog, I2C, or CAN-bus control over the motor - only UART and USB
      FOC is not required
      Read via UART the following:
        input voltage
        motor current
        duty cycle now
        amp hours burned
        input current
Motor control will be sensorless

I would imagine that the above requirements give me the ability to remove a lot of components, and replace many components with better-suited components that are cheaper/smaller.
I am curious if anything similar to this has been done before?
I plan on going through the schematic and the BOM to figure out which components to remove or replace.
I know that there may not be exact replacements for some parts, and rather than spend a bunch of time doing redesign, I may leave some components in the design even if they are overkill for my requirements. The goal of this is to balance design time with cost and size.

I have done PCB design before using EAGLE but all my projects have been a bit less complex than the VESC. I have started to learn KiCad recently.
If anyone has tips for me to get started, it would be much appreciated!

linsus

Re: miniaturizing the VESC for smaller motor and less functionality

Postby linsus » 31 Oct 2017, 12:59

If you search the forum abit, thera are some that have made smaller verisions of the VESC that have been succesfull. Have a look around. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1513 <- example

Return to “General”