VESC driving using ROS

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
StevenCoral

VESC driving using ROS

Postby StevenCoral » 21 Sep 2017, 14:58

Hi all, to anyone with experience in ROS:
I've been using ROS Kinetic with Ubuntu 16.04, running the VESC driver node by the MIT race-car group, found here: https://github.com/mit-racecar/vesc .
All-in-all, the driver works quite well. I can publish duty_cycle topics to make the wheels spin, and subscribe to the topics published by the vesc itself.
I am using DC motors, and have connected ABI encoders to the vescs. in BLDC tools, I can see the encoder count go higher or lower if I manually spin the wheel, but on the vesc topic, I cannot see the displacement or speed messages gain any value.
I do see the temperature, input voltage, current messages etc, so there is a connection and it is valid.
A friend of mine, who is abroad and using BLDC wheels with hall sensors has reported to me that he does see the desired values (speed and net_displacement). I thought that these values are taken from the same place regardless of the origin of the count (halls/encoders).

Does anyone have any idea on how to modify the driver or make it work in any other way (meaning, to get the driver to publish speed and net_displacement taken from ABI encoder input?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve

Return to “General”