Traction Control - Multiple Vesc - Any opinion ?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
okp

Traction Control - Multiple Vesc - Any opinion ?

Postby okp » 22 Dec 2015, 21:34

Hey,

I have been running from the beginning Dual VESC 12S on all my setups always activating traction control (PPM on my E-MTB/NRF on my E-SK8).

I have never tried without traction control. I am trying to learn wheeling on my E-MTB an I want the more direct feeling to ensure that my pressure on the throttle has direct reaction. (I know I will try it but I am in the family at the moment) ... Is there a noticeable difference with and without traction control ... at least on the paper ?

Thanks !

benjamin
Site Admin

Re: Traction Control - Multiple Vesc - Any opinion ?

Postby benjamin » 23 Dec 2015, 08:08

Traction control should not cause any delay in theory. If you are using the nunchuk app, make sure to set the ramping time constants to 0 (they are the main source of delay) to get the fastest possible reaction. The current control loop is very fast, so you should not notice any delay from it.

okp

Postby okp » 23 Dec 2015, 21:23

actually I am using the PPM (GT2B) as it's more convenient for E-MTB (compared to the E-SK8 where the nunchuck is just awesome).

I think the main problem is that I don't have the guts yet to pull the trigger when doing wheelings :D

Thanks for the info on the positive/negative time constant / the more I will get them close to 0, the more reactive this will be.

benjamin
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » 24 Dec 2015, 02:10

PPM does not have any ramping or filtering implemented currently, so the torque response should be more or less instantaneous. The response time of the current control is faster than the rate at which the ppm pulses arrive from the remote controller. The remote controller probably sends pulses every 10 or 20 milliseconds, and you will not notice any delay at all. This is why the nunchuk is easier for beginners :-)

okp

Postby okp » 24 Dec 2015, 08:46

thanks for the information !

Return to “General”