Differential steering with multiple ESC's over CAN?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
slapshot136
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Differential steering with multiple ESC's over CAN?

Postby slapshot136 » 31 Jul 2017, 19:14

How can I setup a system where I have a joystick with two analogue scales (i.e. X and Y) going into an ESC and then have that ESC control the other 4 with the possibility of some motors changing directions but not at the same time (i.e. turn left if the right side moves forward and the left side moves in reverse)?

rew

Re: Differential steering with multiple ESC's over CAN?

Postby rew » 01 Aug 2017, 06:38

consider using a flying wing controller from the RC hobbyshop. It will combine two signals (forward and left-right) in the way you want.

slapshot136

Postby slapshot136 » 02 Aug 2017, 00:57

I can't seem to find any that's not an actual flight controller (i.e. recieve a radio signal, output PWM) - was hoping for something more along the lines of recieves two analogue signals (or PWM I guess) and then mixes them into the correct PWM

pf26

Postby pf26 » 04 Aug 2017, 10:54

I think the best way is to use a "master" VESC to input the 2 analog signals (on SCK_ADC_EXT and MISO_SCL_ADC_EXT2) and then write a special app to produce the speed references for all 4 VESCs (connected by CAN bus).

Return to “General”