Design Files and Project progress

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
fotherja

Design Files and Project progress

Postby fotherja » 30 Jul 2017, 10:26

I have a lot of questions regarding the progress of this incredible project. I've been hoping to build the VESC6 myself. It is all open source I thought.

Have the PCB gerbers been released anywhere? Is the firmware available on Github? I can't find either anywhere.

Is there a website detailing the VESC6? I thought Benjamin was working on one. What's http://vesc-project.com/ all about? Can we get access?

Is Benjamin ok? He hasn't posted for quite a while.

rew

Re: Design Files and Project progress

Postby rew » 30 Jul 2017, 11:30

It is GOING to be open source. Not yet released. :-(

Yes, the website is vesc-project.com. Currently only accessible for people with a password.

I'm told that Benjamin had an accident and is recovering, I don't know much more.

fotherja

Postby fotherja » 04 Aug 2017, 10:05

Ok, thanks for the info.

How similar is the FOCBOX motor controller (link below) to the hardware Benjamin is about to release?

Does FOCBOX have 3 current shunts and discrete amplifiers for each to allow for 100% duty cycle etc?

Thanks in advance
James

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric- ... ontroller/

linsus

Postby linsus » 10 Aug 2017, 13:30

From what I know when I spoke to Ben, the FOCBOX is probably nothing more then a close replication on the physical formfactor of the VESC6, I am however not familiar what actually is mounted on the PCB so I can't say nor will make any further assumptions.

But as previously stated. The magic of the VESC is not necessarily within the hardware but the software. Meaning the FOCbox most likly run on previous versions the VESC software, but they're very fond of adverting it as an entierly new verision.

trampa

Postby trampa » 13 Aug 2017, 23:54

The Hardware files for a VESC6 reference design are the next thing that gets attention.

For Box is a HW4.12 in the layout of the VESC 5 Hardware.
The only thing making a difference to a standard 4.12 is the useage of Direct FETs. We know that many users are confused, since the marketing doesn't show these facts. As soon as you want to upload new FW you should know it's a 4.12 @ heart.

It can only be used with the old FW 2.18. If you drop on other FW, warranty is void.

If you buy a Enertion Board, the FOC Box has a FW 2.80 on, which is not public, so you can't do changes to the settings without uploading a different FW version.
The 2.80 FW seams to be identical to the FW 2.54 from Nico Ackerman (Ackmaniac). The other revision number servers as a warranty lock, since users can't update their FOC-BOX back to the original state, once they changed the FW.

So there is a quite a confusing FW/Warranty thing going on. Uploading the latest FW, coming with the VESC-Tool, will definitely void your warranty.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Frank

elux

Postby elux » 14 Aug 2017, 00:16

Thanks for replying Frank. Interesting information regarding your competitor. Do you have any insight on the progress of the VESC6? I think most of the people on this board are interested in supporting Benjamin. I'd like to be able to buy the VESC6 and download VESC-tools. Any estimate on a time frame that it might be possible?

Return to “General”