5V max amps?

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
amund7

5V max amps?

Postby amund7 » 14 Jul 2017, 06:41

Hi,

I have a raspberry pi on the bike I need to power, and to run it off the 5v from the VESC would be very tidy. However, I read somewhere that it's the DRV chip giving the 5V, and it will BLOW UP if you pull more than 1A (or if you short circuit it). Is this really true? I've never seen a buck converter blow up if you short or overload it, the ones I've tried will just go down to 0v, and give their max amps.

I tried to read the spec sheet of the DRV, but I can't find anything about 5v or 1A anywhere. Just some tiny milliamp numbers.

Raspberry pi pulls less than 1A continous I think, maybe closer to 2A at the startup moments.

rew

Re: 5V max amps?

Postby rew » 14 Jul 2017, 10:41

In theory the DRV can deliver 2A, IIRC. The components on the VESC are however rated for about 1A.

The DRV is however a picky chip. It has strict boundaries. Stuff like: not more than 60V or else.... And the "or else" means: "blows up".

So... if you can risk your DRV blowing up, you can try it.

amund7

Re: 5V max amps?

Postby amund7 » 14 Jul 2017, 10:48

I already blew one, but that was (I believe) due to ripples over 65V. I do not want to blow another, but I never heard of a buck converter that blows up either. I guess I'll just use that, a separate buck converter.

Return to “General”