BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

General topics and discussions about the VESC and its development.
BlakeCarmichael
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 12:12
Location: Florida

BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby BlakeCarmichael » 18 Sep 2017, 16:54

Hi all,

I'm hoping that there is a way to record the Realtime Data samples into a CSV (or excel) file.
I read this: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/recording-data-from-vesc-summary-of-tools/7020, which describes how to log the data using an Arduino and an SD card, but I would much rather have the BLDC tool create an excel file on its own.

If anyone knows how to do that, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Blake

BlakeCarmichael
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 12:12
Location: Florida

Re: BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby BlakeCarmichael » 19 Sep 2017, 15:36

Alright, I've resorted to the Arduino datalogger. But, when using the arduino library for reading from the VESC, I found that it takes up about 26% of dynamic memory. So I am going to move from my Nano to a Mega.

Is there any way to reduce the memory usage of this library in case I want to move back to the Nano?

pf26
Posts: 298
Joined: 28 Mar 2016, 14:37
Location: FR Valence

Re: BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby pf26 » 19 Sep 2017, 15:43

Writing to an SD Card requires a lot of RAM because you need a data buffer before you actually write pages of data into the SD-Card. Most likely it will be difficult to reduce this RAM usage.
Depending upon the measurements you need, you might simply configure the VESC to output its status say at 10Hz, and use a simple terminal software (like hterm.exe) on the PC to catch the UART com port frames from the VESC. The you can save these frames (with time stamp), and decode in excel (which maybe a bit of text strings formulas before you get the numbers you want).

rew
Posts: 940
Joined: 25 Mar 2016, 12:29
Location: Delft, Netherlands.

Re: BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby rew » 21 Sep 2017, 03:31

BlakeCarmichael wrote:Alright, I've resorted to the Arduino datalogger. But, when using the arduino library for reading from the VESC, I found that it takes up about 26% of dynamic memory. So I am going to move from my Nano to a Mega.

thee nano is physically small. It has an atmega processor. If you use 26% of memory, that is not a problem: it leaves 74% unused. Most applications do not use dynamic memory so that you know the exact memory usage at compile time.

maxkinz
Posts: 29
Joined: 30 Jun 2017, 14:41

Re: BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby maxkinz » 22 Sep 2017, 20:09

Hi Blake,

For getting data to Excel you could also have a look at recompiling BLDC tool to output the data you need. I have done so before to do similar stuff, recording the motor current. If you know your way around Qt + Qt Creator it is fairly simple - I do however not have that code on the computer I am using right now but I can supply code snippets once i get back to the other machine so it will be mostly a copy-paste job if you're still interested. The major drawback is that you can obviously not use it for logging while riding as you need a computer connected to the VESC all the time...

Whats your application ?
Max

Philip747
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: BLDC Tool Realtime Data to Excel File

Postby Philip747 » 10 Aug 2018, 10:15

Digging around and found this old thread.
Any updates on extracting CSV from the VESC tool?

Philip


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests