Dual VESC - Single Motor

Post and discuss your VESC projects here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marci87
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dual VESC - Single Motor

Postby Marci87 » 30 Oct 2018, 22:47

Hi, my name is Marcel and I'm from Germany.
I'm just upgrading my ebike from a Kelly Controller to one or more VESC 4.2.

I couldn't find any information online about my Idea:

Is it possible to set up two (or three) VESCs in combination with only one motor? :mrgreen:

The motor would still be a 14 pole turnigy 120-80, sensored brushless, but I'd like to run it on a little more amps... ;)

Did anyone try this before, do I need to wire the sensors parallel (to the VESC), or is it only possible in sensorless mode, or even not at all? I'd prefer to use brushless-sensor-hybrid mode, where sensors only are read out at low rpm.

I also wonder how the Vesc is measuring the amps, and if the other VESC could waste this measurement :?:

So if any one has any information for me, I'd appreciate an answer. Thank you ;)

pf26

Re: Dual VESC - Single Motor

Postby pf26 » 05 Nov 2018, 14:46

I can't think of any way to do this properly, even with an encoder, since the VESC uses the motor winding inductance to produce a relatively smooth current from rough PWM. Even using external inductances, I doubt it would work.
I would use several (VESC+motor), and run them in parallel (on the same axis, or driving the same gear).

Return to “VESC Projects”