RESC: Automotive quality high voltage fork from the VESC

Discuss hardware related to the VESC such as the NRF nunchuk.
ragonamuffin

Re: Moving around pins on the STM32 and upgrading to f7 over f4

Postby ragonamuffin » 06 Jul 2017, 16:01

Prevas_erra wrote:Current sense will output a 2.5V +- current signal so it will go above the max 3.3V ADC input.
You should use the birectional current sense not the U version.
Eric

If I use the bidirectional one, I will not get the bottom half of the sine wave on the ADC pin, and will need a diode to protect the ADC pin from negative voltage, correct?

I am a noob doing the best I can to understand everything :lol:

EDIT: Do both of these current sensors output 2.5 volt at no load? That makes perfect sense if so. I thought one started at 0 volts.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 06 Jul 2017, 17:50

No DRV, gate drivers! The whole objective of this project is to make a high voltage/amperage controller. Upgrading the processor would just be icing on the cake.

I think I am done! Anyone see anything wrong?

top.PNG
top.PNG (187.9 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

CPU.PNG
CPU.PNG (313.77 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Gate Driver.PNG
Gate Driver.PNG (46.18 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 06 Jul 2017, 17:51

Gate Driver.PNG
Gate Driver.PNG (46.18 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

CAN.PNG
CAN.PNG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Amp.PNG
Amp.PNG (22.71 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 06 Jul 2017, 17:52

Temp.PNG
Temp.PNG (5.87 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Halls.PNG
Halls.PNG (55.77 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Prevas_erra

Postby Prevas_erra » 08 Jul 2017, 09:36

ragonamuffin wrote:No DRV, gate drivers! The whole objective of this project is to make a high voltage/amperage controller. Upgrading the processor would just be icing on the cake.

I think I am done! Anyone see anything wrong?

Hi

Still many things wrong, but it seems you don't listen to the advice you got so I won't repeat or list everything.
Sorry, but I think your level of understanding of HW and SW is too low to be doing a design like this.
Instead of wasting your money, try to change the software to work with your design and get it to compile first.
That will take you a couple of weeks at least and you will se if all pins can do what you want (for example PD10 is not an analog input).
VDDSDMMC, Vref+, VDDA must be connected to VCC (via ferrite).

/Eric

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 08 Jul 2017, 15:40

Simply stating I did not fix all the problems is more than enough for me! :D I will re-read all the posts more thoroughly. Thank you for reviewing older issues!

There were some things that went way over my head in this thread...... I think I should stick with the same exact F4 based processor and make a high voltage/amperage controller. That is all I really need.

I am self taught and have only been doing PCB design for a year. Thank you for your patience and help! This is my second ever STM32 project, my first was with an F7 nucleo and mbed a few months ago. I had a blast!!!!! Love the drag and drop interface. Arduino is nothing like Keil, so I was pretty lost when I opened up the demo version of uVision.

R1,R5,R6 on top sheet were changed to 60k right after I uploaded the sketch, sorry about that.

I will get on all these changes and post again soon.

Thanks Eric!

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 08 Jul 2017, 16:02

PD10 is not an analog input

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry dude, no wonder I look like a scrublord. The non-essential components to getting the VESC up and running were thrown on random pins, I was going to go back and fix all that. My apologies for not mentioning that. From now on I'll just leave ports sitting next to the pins unconnected indicating they have yet to be placed. I should do that for my own sake as well!

That actually brings up a great question: does the VESC support a third current sensor easily? I know only two are needed for FOC calculations, but for redundancy purposes I added another.

rew

Postby rew » 10 Jul 2017, 07:20

Just connect it up. The software can always ignore the third reading.

VESC6 software will be able to use it.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 14 Jul 2017, 18:28

Awesome! Looking forward to the new software!

I just noticed that I was powering the new CAN transceiver I picked out with 5V.

Just a minor update I went back to the 64 pin F4. I'm going to keep this as simple as possible to start.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 22 Jul 2017, 12:50

I decided that having power management on-board will be easier in the long run if I can fit it so I have been taking care of that the last few days.

All components up to this point are Q100 with the exception of the 12v to 5v DC-DC: MTC1S1205MC-R7.

My three questions are:

1. can I use a non-isolated DC-DC instead of the CPU GND to High voltage GND shown on the top sheet of the VESC? Technically this is connecting the ground in one place.
2. Where can I find Q100 DC-DC converters? As you can see I chose an isolated medical DC-DC (MTC1S1205MC-R7) as I would assume medical is a higher reliability standard than Q100, but then again it may not be great for vibration is my guess. I would really prefer the all in one DC-DC converter solution to save much time vs a voltage regulator with tons of ICs that I will need to pick out. If this is a bad idea feel free to tell me. I am trying to make this PCB as reliable as possible.
3. I was using webench, is that my best option? I was scared away by the "CUSTOM" inductor coil on a power supply that output 12v, 5v at a max voltage of 100V and a min of 50. I have no idea where to get one, or do I need to make one? That coil may have only be required for the isolated regulation solution. I cannot remember, this was about a week ago.

I have been avoiding doing the power supply... time to tackle it.

Return to “Related Hardware”