RESC: Automotive quality high voltage fork from the VESC

Discuss hardware related to the VESC such as the NRF nunchuk.
ragonamuffin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

RESC: Automotive quality high voltage fork from the VESC

Postby ragonamuffin » 28 May 2017, 18:35

I have changed the topic name to something more relevant since I am no longer using the F7 processor.

Design goals:
All components AEC-Q rated
Designed for up to 21 series lithium ion operation: 88.8 volts fully charged. (100V mosfets)
Very high power density
Design does not use isolated gate drivers/amps to use the best value components possible, and to make the smallest PCB footprint possible.

I will update this top sheet periodically as it is updated. All schematics available at the end of this thread.

TopSheet.PNG
TopSheet.PNG (105.61 KiB) Viewed 2700 times

Dillon
Last edited by ragonamuffin on 07 Aug 2017, 03:37, edited 3 times in total.

rew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moving around pins on the STM32 and upgrading to f7 over f4

Postby rew » 29 May 2017, 06:45

I'm willing to look at it. It's not as easy as you think. IF you run into trouble changing more things at once, you should change only one thing at a time. The good news is that you could also buy and mount an STM32F405V on your board to see if that works if the F7 doesn't work first time. But you better be prepared for this option. IIRC, exactly the 100 pin versions are not quite compatible... :-(

Yes, you should match up PC7 with PC7, not the pin numbers. There is a table in the datasheet that would be easy for you to use. It has the PC7 pin10 on 64pin package, pin17 on 100 pin package information close together.

Lots of pins on the VESC are not driven as GPIO, general purpose IO, but with one of the special functions that the pin can provide. So the PWM pins to the FETS are not connected to e.g. PB13, but to "TIM1_CHN1N". So if you move that signal you HAVE to find a pin that can do "TIM1_CHN1N" as well. You've mastered the trick for "CAN2_TX" I see, but you need to keep that in mind for the existing pins as well.

The hall sensors MAY also require some special function. I'm not sure. Possibly it's the TIM4_CH1 on PB6.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 29 May 2017, 09:17

Thank you so much rew!

That is what I was afraid of. Everything so far has been fairly easy. So far, the HALL_1 pin is the only thing I know for a fact is missing.

Oh man, from what it sounds like you are saying I will need to read the pin definitions for each processor to make sure they match up in function. That should be a fun day for me... or several :lol:

I have attached the CPU schematic, I guess we can start with this page. I am pretty sure I have finished all the VESC required connections. Does everything look OK to you? Other than the floating HALL_1 port :lol:

Checking this page will be the biggest task; the power supply has been taken care of off board and the gate drivers/amps pages are very clean. I can handle the rest...I think! Any errors will hopefully be clear to you.

Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
junkdsdfdf.JPG
junkdsdfdf.JPG (459.62 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

rew

Postby rew » 29 May 2017, 20:39

You're missing the line from PH0 to the crystal.

ST makes their chips reasonably "compatible". A client of mine asked for a board with this, that etc. So I told him: you're going to get an STM32F072 processor, here is a development board for prototyping the software I'm going to design your board. So the day before I send the designs off to be manufactured he calls me and says: Doesn't fit in the '072, I need a larger one. So I move him up to the '405. No changes to the PCB and done! The "VCAP" pins are GND on the '072. I always design the caps in there anyway, and deposit a solder blob there when an 072 is going on the PCB.

So.... features like "UART2 TX" is going to be on the same pin on F7 and F4. now, the F4 has 3 ADCs, so my 072 simply doesn't have ADC3_IN11. But I do have one ADC, so ADC1_IN11 is on the same pin on F0 (072) as on F4 (405), or F7 (whatever you're going to use).

I think that my guess was right: PB6 is used for TIM4_CH1 on HALL1. That is because an ENCODER_A signal can be connected to that pin/connector. HALL2 is then TIM4_CH2. Searching the datasheet for TIM4_CH1 comes up with PD12. Looks free to me.

Prevas_erra

Postby Prevas_erra » 30 May 2017, 07:56

Hi

Don't use an STM32F7 if you are not prepared for a lot of code changes!
We are using the ST drivers for the timers and ADC, not ChibiOS drivers.
ST does not (at this time) have standard peripheral drivers for F7, they changed to HAL that is incompatible.
http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/ ... tId=LN1939
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/pro ... ubef7.html

Eric

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 31 May 2017, 19:15

Thank you both so much for your reply!

I apologize for the delay in posting a reply. It seems I did not click the submit button before closing out my browser the other day. That will teach me to have over 50 tabs open :lol:

Wow that was a silly oversight on the PH0, good eye rew!

Looks like I should stick to an F4 with more CAN pins... because I barely understood what that meant Eric haha.

I'd consider myself a fairly creative EE when it comes to the layout itself, but programming is not my expertise. I love making PCBs; it's art to me. I am really excited to get to laying out these components on a PCB file so the sooner the better! :D :D :D :D

I have posted the remainder of the (unfinished) schematics along with another PCB that I have made so you can see some of my other work. I will be making my best effort to make it visually appealing and well functioning like this PCB posted.

Look for errors in the completed areas, and ignore the incomplete.

Thanks again guys!!
Attachments
CAN.JPG
CAN.JPG (118.14 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Gate Driver.JPG
Gate Driver.JPG (82.27 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Amp.JPG
Amp.JPG (128.59 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Last edited by ragonamuffin on 31 May 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 31 May 2017, 19:18

The rest of the pics
proc.JPG
proc.JPG (452.93 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

TopSheet.JPG
TopSheet.JPG (249.21 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (661.78 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

rew

Postby rew » 01 Jun 2017, 07:02

Prevas_erra

Postby Prevas_erra » 01 Jun 2017, 08:21

Some problems:
VSSA missing GND connection.
SENS1,2 and 3 connected wrong, R1 top should be connected to HSA and R2 top to the MCU.
1uF is too much for C2 CAN termination, 10nF is enough. The RX pin will output 5V levels, why not select a 3.3V CAN chip.
Current sense will output a 2.5V +- current signal so it will go above the max 3.3V ADC input.
You should use the birectional current sense not the U version.
Eric

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 03 Jun 2017, 21:32

Is making another dev board as simple as swapping out the F4 with an F7? If not, I'll finish up with this design then make the f4 revision, or maybe vice versa considering the time crunch I am in. I need a working high voltage/current controller, not a headache :lol:

Thank you both so much for your replies again! I will surely have more questions shortly.

Return to “Related Hardware”