VESC+Bluetooth+Android not working

Discuss hardware related to the VESC such as the NRF nunchuk.
Quezacotl

VESC+Bluetooth+Android not working

Postby Quezacotl » 12 Apr 2017, 10:34

Hello!

I have been wrestling with this problem since beginning.

The setup is bluetooth-module HC-06 and an android-phone(OneplusOne, Honor7, Lenovo tablet).

The circuit is:
HC-06-VESC
VCC-3V3
RX-TX
TX-RX
GND

Bluetooth-module appears to be working. I changed settings(with arduino), and it echoed successfully back.
I have tried using baud 9600, 57600 and 115200. Both matching in module conf and VESC settings.
Also UART is enabled on VESC settings.
Module pairs in Android. And i am able to connect to it with some HC-05 terminal application(red light not flickering).
When i try to connect to it with VESC tool, VESC tool lite or some other, they all say that devices not found.

Any suggestions what might be the problem?
Last edited by Quezacotl on 21 Apr 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Quezacotl

Re: VESC+Bluetooth+Android not working

Postby Quezacotl » 18 Apr 2017, 17:51

Now i found an app called "VESC monitor", and that is able to connect.
All it can do is display some values, and that is enough for monitoring, but "VESC connect" could also tune values whick would be very useful so i would not need to bring my bike or controller inside my apartment.

So now it's confirmed that all hardware connections seem to be OK. Just need to figure out what makes all other programs not to connect.

Hmm... Could VESC firmware version matter?

rew

Postby rew » 21 Apr 2017, 06:10

Yes. Benjamin changes the format of the structures that are passed back and forth quite easily. That's why you need a bldc-tool that is "current' with your vesc firmware. The same goes here.

There is a video from benjamin where he explains adding something to the VESC firmware code and to bldc_tool there he explains that he's adding something to the structure and then increases the version number.

Quezacotl

Postby Quezacotl » 21 Apr 2017, 07:28

Okay. So all i need is to downgrade the firmware to the date of the android applications.

EDIT: Okay, the "VESC Connect" last change was 22.9.2016, and firmware was 27.6.2016, so the Android tool should be compatible...

By the way, where can i find a changelog of the firmware? Can't seem to find in Github. Or even previous versions.

EDIT: I tried even to refresh the firmware to 2.18 default, just to make sure it is good, but no difference.

rew

Postby rew » 21 Apr 2017, 18:05

Clone the git repository and type "git log"?

Quezacotl

Postby Quezacotl » 21 Apr 2017, 20:08

Oh, i didn't know about that feature. Thanks. That will help in other things also in future.

So, in firmware 2.7 (28.12.2015), there was some UART-related changes, but not anything that would prevent using of those applications. But well, that's what the changelog says. Pretty long shot that it's firmware version-related issue...

Could you tell specifically what have you done to get it work? Just that i get some idea if i have missed something. What module, settings, hardware..

And i found out today that while using the "VESC monitor", it dropped connection so frequently it was basically useless.

By the way, here's my hardware: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145899209 ... res/J82n50

EDIT: And now i saw it... "VESC Connect" needs HC-10/11 and "VESC Monitor" HC-05/06. And they use apparently different protocols. HC-10/11 uses BT low energy thing, which i thought would still be using same protocols since i didn't find any info on that.
Well, i already ordered a HC-10 about 3 weeks ago, so it should be at my mailbox any day, and i get to test with it.

rew

Postby rew » 22 Apr 2017, 06:43

In response to your question I've gone ahead and bought myself a bluetooth set. However I have not yet had the time to test it yet.

Quezacotl

Postby Quezacotl » 15 May 2017, 21:38

Today i got the HM-10 and "VESC connect" is working perfectly, except on one point, saving the changes.
What i have found searching the net, it needs the maker's own VESC firmware to be able to save the settings. And to my bad luck, the site is down where the firmware is...

Return to “Related Hardware”