High Power VESC

Discuss hardware related to the VESC such as the NRF nunchuk.
TheFallen

Re: High Power VESC

Postby TheFallen » 19 Mar 2017, 22:21

LOL, that is the problem! UCC27211 good, UCC27200, UCC27210, UCC27201 are all bad.

Okay, fixed my PCB. Having connection problems where BLDCTool just hangs. not too sure why it happens,unplugging the PCB and re-plugging the USB cable in seems to get it connected, some of the time. Weird problem as I didn't used to have this.

Biggest concern is that with both current sensors reading ~0 Amps the VESC suggests the motor is drawing 150A. Which is kinda funny seeing as the MOSFET gates or outputs are not connected to anything. Anyone got any thoughts? Seems to be a maths fault in the VESC code.

I've nearly completed the IMS PCB design, turns out with a 3oz copper (105μm) IMS board I ought to get an 11°C temperature rise on a 25mm x 3.2mm track. Seeing as most of my copper is 30mm x 15mm I'm guessing I'll get a rise of 2°C instead. That'll do.

macaba
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby macaba » 20 Mar 2017, 14:21

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 23 Mar 2017, 21:33

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 23 Mar 2017, 22:38

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 18 Apr 2017, 21:02

Been away for a while, been busy building the robot that 4 of these ESCs will go in.

Anyway, I got the IMS PCBs back

That's 3 ounce copper (105um), a thin layer of gap pad and 2mm of aluminium, gold plated for prettiness but also to help the solder flow. Gate signals, power, thermistor and current sensors all go through those 8 way connectors JP1, JP2 & JP3. I'm planning on sticking 2 HSOF MOSFETs down per leg for a total of 12 MOSFETs, 2 15uF 100V X5R ceramics per phase (and hopefully very little bulk capacitance). R1, R2 & R3 will be nice large phase current sense resistors all ready for VESC6 firmware! Whats rather unique about this design is that it will use copper staples to jump the bus voltage between phases.

The target for this assembly is to be able to handle 5kW at a minimum but I'd be happier with 10kW.

I just need to order the copper bus bars from the waterjetters and every needs to turn up and then I get the fun job of figuring out how on earth I'm going to solder something that's specifically designed to wick heat away very efficiently...

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 18 May 2017, 15:28

Only me on this topic eh?

Anyway, got the copper bus bars back from the lasercutters (they were cheaper and faster). They were £1.79 + VAT each which isn't terrible, I bent them, added some heat shrink and had a play with trying to solder them onto the PCBs:

I may have cooked the one on the right a little too enthusiastically, I blame the cooking hot plate I was using! The one on the left was done on a Weller temperature controlled hotplate and came out much nicer.

jerry
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jerry » 18 May 2017, 18:05

Looks awesome! I'm looking forward to see where the limiting hot spots are given how much metal you've got laid down.

ragonamuffin

Postby ragonamuffin » 28 May 2017, 17:43

This is so awesome! Looking forward to seeing it in action. I am doing a similar project, I am in the schematic phase. Same gate driver stuff, just all on the same board

eTurbo

Postby eTurbo » 10 Jun 2017, 15:51

Any progress? :)

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 12 Jun 2017, 08:14

It's largely taken a back seat right now. Got a bit burnt out trying to get the robot that it's designed for working.

I'd plumbed in my chinese 2 PCB VESC logic board into my power stage:

but when I apply power the red LED does a triple flash every couple of seconds indicating that the DRV is dead. That sucks as I've just replaced this DRV chip so I'm not sure what it is.

I can't see anything wrong with the logic PCB so this means I have to build one of my own designs and try and get that plumbed in.

Return to “Related Hardware”