Increase of input voltage

Are there any features that you would like to add to the VESC?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Felix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Increase of input voltage

Postby Felix » 05 Feb 2016, 16:46

This project is absolutely amazing. Many thanks and all my respect. I am pulling my hat.
I am coming from the E-Bike Scene where I built an offroad bike with a 6kW BLDC
Currently I am driving this one with a custom kelly controller with 60A/120A max.
The big difference is that I use at least 20C.

So my question would be, what needs to be done to achieve let's say 120V input ?
I am more than willing to help with some development.

Thanks for any ideas !

benjamin
Site Admin

Re: Increase of input voltage

Postby benjamin » 05 Feb 2016, 21:24

Hi Felix,

To make it work with higher voltage you need different FET drivers, a different buck converter and other current shunt amps (you could use the drv8302 just for measuring current of course, but there are better solutions). The firmware should work mostly as it is with minor changes. I probably spent 99% of the total effort on the firmware, so making new hardware shouldn't be that much work. If I get a high power application I will make some new hardware, but currently I don't need a controller with higher power and don't have a good way to test it. I know that more people are interested in this as well and I promised that I will help out with the firmware if someone else makes the hardware.

lizardmech

Postby lizardmech » 06 Feb 2016, 07:01

I'm almost finished with my high voltage VESC compatible board. The only thing holding me back is trying to find some help with PCB layout, I did it already myself but I have no PCB experience, just need someone to check it before I spend money on prototypes. I already set up a business for another project that needed a BLDC controller so I hope I can produce and sell VESC compatible hardware on a regular basis. If people want the motor drivers by themselves I can set up a simple webstore in the short term just for VESC compatible hardware while I work on the other parts I need.

BrettRD

Postby BrettRD » 16 Mar 2016, 09:00

I'll put my hand up for hardware design.
Lizardmech, have you published your work? I'd be more than happy to help out with PCB layout.
I need four new motor controllers for an electric car my students are working on. We're hoping to implement torque vectoring once we have enough control.
I need a set that will handle 120V at up to 200A, and a whole lot of abuse on top of that.

notger

Postby notger » 16 May 2016, 17:43

Hi, there

I just joined this community, and it's nice to find out that so many competant and motivated people are working on the VESC.
I'd like to use the VESC in a E-Bike Setup with 15s.

What i found out now is that the VESC really is just reliably working with 12s.
I'm sorry that i cannot help out with work on PCB's I'm amechanic guy with some just Basic Electronic knowledge.

But how is the Progress with High Voltage VESCS ?
I'm absolutely interested in trying them out on my e-bikes.
Sure 20S maximum would be nice, But mostly i'm using 15s.

Greets

Notger

xachmo

Postby xachmo » 17 Sep 2017, 23:04

Just thought I'd bump this thread!

Whats the latest on a slightly-higher-voltage VESC design?

Ecyclist

Postby Ecyclist » 19 May 2018, 15:31

Hi guys!
Any advances with 15S VESC?
I would love one for my e-bike.

notger

Postby notger » 19 May 2018, 17:22

Ecyclist

Postby Ecyclist » 20 May 2018, 00:53

Thank you dude.
This is really cool stuff.

Return to “Feature Requests”