Add on board for watching voltage of each cell(or block of cells)

Are there any features that you would like to add to the VESC?
silviasol

Add on board for watching voltage of each cell(or block of cells)

Postby silviasol » 16 Oct 2016, 10:42

Maybe another 6 or 8 pin connector to monitor voltage or shut down the vesc if any cells are below a set voltage. Then if you have 12s monitor two cells 7.4v with a 6 pin connector. Or an add on board with some kind of indicator when cells are getting low.

ViennaTom

Re: Add on board for watching voltage of each cell(or block of cells)

Postby ViennaTom » 16 Oct 2016, 22:28

oh no ... smart batteries and controllers use SMBus and there are not so many unused ADC inputs available.
additional connectors/solder pads for unused gpio pins might be good though.
in another thread a member has described a F103 based Smart Battery System - looks very sophisticated.

slapshot136

Postby slapshot136 » 05 Dec 2016, 13:53

Could probably make something with an i2c adc chip and some voltage dividers, but to me thats belongs elsewhere (I.e. not on the esc, rather on a bms or something)

rew

Postby rew » 06 Dec 2016, 08:43

The good thing about having the ESC in the loop is that when I used a BMS, on the way back from someplace after 1 km the BMS decided: cell voltage 4 too low, no more power for you. Besides that it was night and then I didn't have any light anymore, that was when I was pulling quite a lot of power. If I keep going "slow" I can still get a lot of help from the electrical system.

With the VESC in control, I see the VESC no longer able to pull "full power" because it reaches the "battery cutoff" voltage. It then reduces the current draw enough to keep things going.

Now I'm only using the "total voltage". So this only works if all my cells are well balanced. In practice they are "second use" cells so they are all different. (But as long as "empty" according to VESC means I measure at least 3.6V on each cell when I get home, I think I'll be OK).

Return to “Feature Requests”