Digital Interface for RC

Are there any features that you would like to add to the VESC?
skodapilot

Digital Interface for RC

Postby skodapilot » 17 Aug 2016, 07:44

I've just found this project and it's really amazing! I would to build VESC and use in my RC model. Due to RC nature, I think about simplifying original scheme, due to CAN or build-in 2.4GHz transceiver is not required.
Some RC transceivers support telemetry via single wire bus (i.e. SBUS, SUMD and etc). AS far as I understood, USART3 PB10 (Single wire mode, Half-Duplex) could be used to provide this feature. Unfortunately, some protocols used inverted signal (SBUS), so hardware scheme should support both types of bus and required additional elements (I did not find information that STM32 could invert UART signal).
I really do not know if somebody else interested for this modification, due to VESC allows control via PPM already, but I'll glad to any feedback regarding digital interface for RC.

rew

Re: Digital Interface for RC

Postby rew » 17 Aug 2016, 19:31

IIRC, the STM32F030 (" a 32 bit microcontroller for $0.32!" ) does have the invert for the uart.

skodapilot

Postby skodapilot » 18 Aug 2016, 06:29

As far as I see, VESC firmware is based F4 series. So, adding some components could give more flexibility than porting to F0

rew

Postby rew » 18 Aug 2016, 08:33

I'm not saying you should port to F0, I'm trying to say that the cheaper line does have the invert, so maybe the expensive line does too.

Everybody has "just one little feature" that would be nice to have. If you'd implement them all, the board would become humongous.

ViennaTom

Postby ViennaTom » 04 Sep 2016, 19:14

@rew i did not find this feature on any stm32 processor at least our stm32F405 seems to lack it ?
SBUS
as bit banging @ 100KBaud seems a waste of cpu power i think hardware inverters should be used.
To receive/xmit 25 bytes and extract the relevant 11 bits should not be too much of an effort and control servos from the VESC would be possible too so if you have the possibility to compile VESC firmware and have some programming skills you should be able to implement such by yourself (or a friend).
(unfort. i do not have any sbus hardware)
e.g: on mbed.org you find a c++ example

Return to “Feature Requests”