ADC control

Are there any features that you would like to add to the VESC?
Rallye82

ADC control

Postby Rallye82 » 11 Aug 2016, 20:59

Hi

I have a small project involving a couple of VESC`s.
i am upgrading my son`s PegPerego John Deere Ground Force.

Using a couple of VESC`s instead of the original DC motor with direct start, i think i will improve the drivability of the tractor a lot.
i am not really interesting in massive top speed, or more power. therefor i will be setting a moderat motor and battery amp setting in the BLDC-tool.

i will also use Can, and traction control.

My challenge is that, when playing around with ADC control with a couple of pot`S and a couple of switches, a can not seem to get my settings to work.
when using ADC using the Current button, and the Current norev button, there seem to be no difference between the two modes. i did expect the Current button to reverse the direction while the Rev-button is pressed. But it only stops the motor. (same as Current norev button).

the rev-button work as expected in duty cycle mode.

What would have been cool, is if the current norev adc2 would be Current button adc2. so i could mount a accelerator pedal, and one brake pedal.
and a button for reverse. and maybe a toggle button for cruise control, that would be aborted by a touch on the brakes?

Anyone willing to help me with and app like this?

And i want to thank Mr. Vedder for his remarkable work with the VESC.
i have soldered up 5-6 VESC´s now, using them in a couple of electric skateboards, and soon my sons´s tractor.
Planning to use the VESC in many more builds in the future.
Regards
Øystein N

rew

Re: ADC control

Postby rew » 12 Aug 2016, 10:07

A friend of mine is working on a VESC on his bike. We found that the "current button" reverses the applied current so that the wheel stops and the goes backwards. I haven't tried "current button norev". Now I've come to realize that this may be what we actually wanted: button reverses the current, but will leave the current with the opposite sign of the current rotational direction. i.e. always brake.

So I don't share your observation that the reverse button doesn't reverse the direction....

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 12 Aug 2016, 11:38

in dutycycle mode it reverse the direction, but in current mode the motor only stop.

Are you in BLDC mode? or are you using FOC?
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 13 Aug 2016, 18:39

Hi

Thank you very much.

i will try to download and test your application.

I will try to test your application today or tomorrow.
and report how it goes.
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 13 Aug 2016, 19:25

Did you upload your changes to the Git Hub?

can't seem to find your application.

i am not very good with programing, that might be my problem :?
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 14 Aug 2016, 11:58

Hi again.

after some copy paste work, with your mods into the existing files on the github. i got it to work.
bloc tools is working and the new firmware 2.19, that is required for the ned bloc tool.

the app works exactly the way i wanted it to. PERFECT.

except the toggling of the cruise control, but that might be a safety concern anyway.
(not sure i explained it good enough ether. i wanted the cruise control to be a toggle switch, so when it i toggled on and switch is released, it stay on until the brake i applied?) so he does no have to keep holding the button. but then again, if he falls off, the tractor will continue on its own. That said, the top speed is about 6-8Km/h, and it is fairly light. it is a PegPerego Ground Force)

and i got to explore the code a bit more:)

Thank you very much, and a think my son will enjoy his new tractor controller when i finish up the hardware.

once again, THANK YOU.
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 15 Aug 2016, 10:08

Hi

Yeah, the Cruise control works, but only as log as you hold the button.
That might be a good solution in a electric skateboard, but maybe not so much in a vehicle that you sit and drive in. 8-)

but the code/app you provided works more then good enough. the cruise control with toggle on/off is just the icing on the cake :D

i need th make a acc and a brake pedal now. to test it on the toy tractor:) ( my test so far is just with a couple of pots and a couple of switches)
The tractor only has an on/off pedal switch today. So it is only full power ahead, or full brake. And a switch to couple the two DC motors in series or in parallel, for 1st and second gear.
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 15 Aug 2016, 10:11

xlv wrote:Hey,

glad you finally made it working. I did not implement the cruise control. I just used the code which was already there. Is it working with CC?

Since i don't have write access to Vedders official git repository, you have to check out from my git:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/derlucas/bldc-tool
cd bldc-tool
git checkout adc2rev
qmake
make

same goes for the BLDC Firmware. The Version 2.19 is not official! If vedder makes a new Version, this will most likely be overwritten. Just as a heads up warning :) But i hope Vedder will include my features in his official Firmware

If i knew this, this weekend. it would spared me alot of copy an paste :lol:
Cause i only copy and pased your code into the existing code, but it helped me understand the code a bit better.
Regards
Øystein N

Rallye82

Postby Rallye82 » 16 Aug 2016, 07:59

Hi

I just orderd a couple of these the other day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Car-Ve ... 2444276757

Hope they work.
neede som small pedals for my kid`s small feet :)

and i just got my Kama Nunchuck yesterday, so i was busy with implementing that on my electric longboard:)
(but thats not for this thread:) )
Regards
Øystein N

Return to “Feature Requests”