Motor shaft machining advices welcome.

General discussion about projects and posts on vedder.se
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ThierryGTLTS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Motor shaft machining advices welcome.

Postby ThierryGTLTS » 14 Nov 2017, 16:38

Can you give me some advices as I have to shorten and reduce the shaft diameter of a motor.

It seems that the material used is extremely hard.

Of course I've seen videos that shows to use a plastic bag with tape to prevent iron fillings to be attracted by the magnets.

But what tool to use and how to have a very clean and well done work?!

The shaft is 10mm dia and i have to reduce it to 8mm as precisely as possible.

Original shaft is 10mm +0 -0.007mm!!!

Concentricity is also a concern, and I cannot remove the shaft which is pressfitted.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

slapshot136

Re: Motor shaft machining advices welcome.

Postby slapshot136 » 14 Nov 2017, 19:53

Preferably on a lathe to keep it concentric, and then use a carbide cutting bit (preferably full carbide, not just coated) to deal with the hardened material - make sure you have a stream of coolant to prevent it from heating up & destroying anything

ThierryGTLTS

Postby ThierryGTLTS » 15 Nov 2017, 08:02

Thank you for your answer.

I've just noticed that there are also ceramic cutting tools.

But I don't know where to buy at an acceptable price, any idea :?: :!:

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

TheFallen

Postby TheFallen » 15 Nov 2017, 08:48

Carbide would be enough. Ceramic is completely unnecessary.

slapshot136

Postby slapshot136 » 21 Nov 2017, 03:50

ThierryGTLTS

Postby ThierryGTLTS » 21 Nov 2017, 09:49

Thanks for your answer.

I have succeeded in machining the shaft.

The axle was only hard in surface, so it was not to difficult with my insert Proxxon and Glanze tools.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Return to “General”